• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You Listening to Me?

** This thread discusses the article: Are You Listening to Me? **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Are You Listening to Me? **

Are You Listening to Me?

Cars of the future will be able to exchange information with each other and with the highway infrastructure, allowing them to behave as if they had human reflexes. They will take corrective action where appropriate and provide critical feedback to their drivers ("Turn, you idiot, turn now!"). Three years ago my friend bought a fully loaded Toyota Sienna with options. It did not bother telling my friend what you have quoted, but simply took evasive actions by itself when its sensors indicated some car was cutting him off. I believe for luxury cars like BMW, it is a standard feature now. Well atleast all my family members with BMW and Mercedez have (I drive a Honda Civic so I wont know).

Comment

Are You Listening to Me?

Glad I'm not the only one who misses turns because I got so involved in what I'm saying! It happens so often that we now have a policy called 'Quiet Time'. When a turn is coming up, my husband says 'Quiet Time!', and I stop chatting and concentrate so I don't miss the turn. Our dog actually is named Rover, and you're right. He never minds if I miss a turn.

Comment

Are You Listening to Me?

Chris wrote: "When driving, the problem is that you're moving down the highway on an overcrowded road at speeds that can easily kill everyone in the vehicle, and it's putting people on edge. And do you really think it's likely to get any better out there?" That reminds me of when we were vacationing in Germany some years back. I pulled onto the Autobahn, and told my wife to relax and enjoy the scenery. But do you think she could relax as I pushed the car up to 160 km/h? Noooo! But back on topic, there's something fundamentally wrong. Traffic planners have known for a long time that congestion goes along with roads. It may seem like a contradiction, but the mere fact of building roads results in congestion. The same goes with technological measures to control traffic. It may result in short-term improvements, but the slack will eventually be taken up as people adjust. The problem with air travel is even worse from the point of view of climate change. Although you can build greener automobiles, there's no good way of doing the same with the jet planes that spew tonnes and tonnes of greenhouse gases into the upper atmosphere. If you want technological solutions, the way to do it is to eliminate the need for airplane or automobile travel. And there are already ways of doing that. For example, videoconferencing has been around a long time already. There's also telecommuting. These technologies need to be used more. Cheers! Hans

Comment

Working...
        X