RAD vs WDSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAD vs WDSC

We've recently upgraded to i5/OS 6.1. I'd like to start using RAD, but management is balking because of the per/seat license. I'm currently using WDSC 7.x. I'd like a list of the improvements to the languages that we could take advantage of in RAD that we can't do in WDSC. Is there a site somewhere that can show these advantages? Thanks.

Len, I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, because you mention RAD and RAD stands for Rational Application Developer, which is not an i development tool - it's a full-fledged J2EE web development IDE.

If you're looking for tooling for i-specific languages such as RPG and COBOL, then you should take a look at the new Rational Developer for Power Systems. I have an introductory article coming out (I think next week) that shows you two tools that make it worth the price: the Screen Designer and the Report Designer, which together provide a GUI replacement for SDA and RLU. Just those alone would make you more productive, and you don't get those in WDSC.

Joe

Comment

Thanks Joe. Yes, I was just confused by all the acronyms for the product. It is RDi or, as I understand it, RDP. Who knows what they'll call it tomorrow! I'm just having a bit of trouble convincing management that we need a product that was once "free" and now have to pay a fee.

Comment

Working...
      X