Domino Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domino Newbie

When you read that you can use your existing RPG programs, the material is probably referring to the method of calling stored procedures (in this cas the stored procedure would be an RPG program) via ODBC or JDBC. The assumption would be that the RPG program could return data through a parameter list. I would guess that most RPG programs have not been written to return data via a paramter list, but instead they were written with a tight integration with a display file. So, in most cases I would say it probably isn't that easy to use existing RPG programs. However, if you can't easily exploit existing RPG programs you might consider another method, which is to retrieve the data in your AS/400 files via ODBC or JDBC. In this case you would use SQL statement in a Domino agent (another name for program) to retrieve data and display it. It could be displayed via a Notes form or view or even in a Web browser. Lotus has software such as Lotus Enterprise Integrator (LEI), to help you create real-time connections to your AS/400. LEI is a supplemental product to Domino and it costs extra. Hope this helps.

Domino Newbie

I have been working at the local govt level for about a year now as an RPG programmer. Everything I have learned concerning RPG was from tape training manuals or books. I think I have done fairly well with my learning, and developing applications seems to be going well. Then they throw you the curve ball............... We recently purchased domino for the AS400 and I have been looking at the documentation for Domino Designer. Needless to say, it's a slow process and quite a bit to take in at once. We're all domino newbies in the office and I suppose you could say were learning by good old trial and error. The mail works without too many flaws or complaints from our users so were making some headway but I have yet to see the power of Domino Designer for application building because of the lack of domino knowledge we have. I have a stack of domino books on my desk to give you a visual on the pathetic situation I'm in. I believe the goal is partly to allow our users to work with applications in an environment more user friendly and appealing to the everyday local govt employee. I'm sure if I asked most of them which they prefer to look at.....a green screen application or a web browser application, the browser will win hands down. now to the actual question at hand...... When I asked about the RPG applications we now use I was told that you could use existing RPG code and Domino would allow you to view that same information in a web browser without having to alter the programs. Naturally I was thrilled to learn how to do this but later thought this was too good to be true. I have done web research to find some answers without much luck. I did find a few articles that spoke of RPG and domino but was unsure of the information within the article. Can someone tell me if this is actually something we can do and if so.....PLEASE send me in the direction of where to find the information to start reading up on it.

Comment

Domino Newbie

IMO, These courses are informative, and easy to use: http://www.tlcc.com/admin/courses.nsf/curriculum Dave

Comment

Working...
      X