CVTDIR - Type 2 IFS conversion at v5r2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CVTDIR - Type 2 IFS conversion at v5r2

Scott, what are the reasons for changing to IFS type 2 for the Domino environment. We have 4 boxes we run Domino code on and we have not yet converted to IFS type 2. So curious to know what the advantages are. We have not converted any of our boxes to the IFS type 2. So I cannot offer any insight in that. Jeff

Jeff, Our Domino environment is HUGE and I mean very very very huge. We have maxed out a large iSeries and may be upgrading as we roll out Lotus to additional users. Supposedly, according to IBM's documentation, we will see Improved Performance, Improved Reliability, Added Functionality, and Less ASP usage. The change is supposed to be something similar to going from FAT to NTFS in Windows. I called IBM to verify there are no problems in doing the Type 2 conversion. IBM reports no problems at all. This is a scary process to me because the only way to turn back is tape restore. Our email environment is very visible to the corporation and there can be no mistakes. I will let you know how it goes. Scott

Comment

I was under the impression that the conversion took place automatically at the time of the V5R2 upgrade. What am i missing? Dave

Comment

The conversion went well. If any problems are encountered I will post them. I was not here when we upgraded to v5r2. I think you can opt to not convert the file system during the upgrade. Any new objects will automatically be created in the new format type2. Scott

Comment

Have you had any problems since doing the conversion? If not has the performance been better to Server? We are getting ready to the upgrade to v5r2 on our Domino AS400 and after doing a little reading I have found that you need to run the CVTDIR command to take advantage of TYPE2 directory structures if you are upgrading to v5r2 from some other version. Thanks! Paul

Comment

I'm going to be upgrading our system from V5R1 to V5R2 sometime in the near future and I was wondering if someone could explain what this TYPE2 IFS is and what additional functionality it will give us

Comment

http://www.midrangeserver.com/mgo/mg...2-story02.html

Comment

Okay, now here is my lack of knowledge showing through. Most of our folders are actually under QDLS (we have a lot). Will this effect these folders? and is there any limitations on which windows enviroment or Office level to be able to access files after the conversion. As usual I have more questions now than before. TIA

Comment

Has anyone used the CVTDIR to change the IFS from a type 1 to type 2? We are thinking about doing so for our Domino environment. Any problems experienced in making this change? TIA Scott

Comment

QDLS won't be affected; it's a separate file system that uses OS/400 libraries, objects, and files under the covers. Some of the other directories under / (root) won't be affected either, like QNTC and QOPT. Anything you could do on Type 1, you should be able to do on Type 2.

Comment

Working...
                    X