Remote OUTQ, Local Printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote OUTQ, Local Printer

What type of emulation device are you using on the remote PC?. If it iSeries Access you can create a printer session which will create the proper out queue.

Arthur, There are two basic ways to do this. One is what Stuart suggested: Create a printer session from iSeries Access. To print directly using the method you were trying, you have to have a LPD installed on the PC. NIPrint is what we used back when we still had printers set up this way. First you set up the printer in Windows, then select that printer when setting up NIPrint. -dan

Comment

Arthur, This can be done, however there are two more requirements. The most important being the workstation customizing object (WSCST), these are usually supplied by the company that made your printer. The second question is, do you have the correct user data transform file (USRDTATFM). Ours has been set up for some time and works perfectly. Please find our set up following (this is for a remote OutQ to a Lexmark SE3455) Change Output Queue (CHGOUTQ) Type choices, press Enter. Output queue . . . . . . . . . . OUTQ > PRT08 Library . . . . . . . . . . . *LIBL Maximum spooled file size: MAXPAGES Number of pages . . . . . . . *NONE Starting time . . . . . . . . Ending time . . . . . . . . . + for more values Order of files on queue . . . . SEQ *FIFO Remote system . . . . . . . . . RMTSYS *INTNETADR Remote printer queue . . . . . . RMTPRTQ 'LXK1FBC47' Writers to autostart . . . . . . AUTOSTRWTR 1 Queue for writer messages . . . MSGQ QSYSOPR Library . . . . . . . . . . . *LIBL Connection type . . . . . . . . CNNTYPE *IP Destination type . . . . . . . . DESTTYPE *OTHER Host print transform . . . . . . TRANSFORM *NO User data transform . . . . . . USRDTATFM TSPRWPR Library . . . . . . . . . . . QGPL Manufacturer type and model . . MFRTYPMDL *WSCST Workstation customizing object WSCST WSCST Library . . . . . . . . . . . QGPL Image configuration . . . . . . IMGCFG *NONE Internet address . . . . . . . . INTNETADR '203.103.227.181' VM/MVS class . . . . . . . . . . CLASS *SAME Forms Control Buffer . . . . . . FCB *SAME Destination options . . . . . . DESTOPT 'XAIX XAUTOQ' Print separator page . . . . . . SEPPAGE *YES User defined option . . . . . . USRDFNOPT *NONE + for more values User defined object: USRDFNOBJ Object . . . . . . . . . . . . *NONE Library . . . . . . . . . . Object type . . . . . . . . . User driver program . . . . . . USRDRVPGM *NONE Library . . . . . . . . . . . Spooled file ASP . . . . . . . . SPLFASP *SYSTEM Text 'description' . . . . . . . TEXT 'NEW LEXMARK

Comment

Thanks for your replies, everyone. Shane: How did you decide/know the name of the remote printer queue? (The RMTPRTQ parameter) Where did you get the user data transform program? How did you determine the DESTOPT parameter?

Comment

If you are using something like NIPrint, the RMTPRTQ is the name you assign in NIPrint. If using a JetDirect card it is "raw", other print servers may have other names. The data transform program will depend on the type of printer. The *WSCST will also depend on the printer. Same for DESTOPT, however, we use DESTOPT('XAUTOQ' 'XAIX') (just like Shane suggests above) for all our JetDirect and NIPrint setups. This makes PAGERANGE and COPIES work. Most of this is arrived at by trying to make it work, asking questions in this forum about specific problems, and calling IBM support. Just takes trial and error and a lot of sleuthing. You might get a quick answer in here by giving the exact specifics, like printer manufacturer and model and the specific setup you want to try. -dan

Comment

Arthur, The most important things are A: DESTOPT - XAIX XAUTOQ B: WSCST - You need to create a work station customizing object, either obtain it from your printer vendor or ask them to supply the code for it and key it in yourself C: USRDATTFM - Once again you need to obtain this from your printer vendor or IBM. Ours is a C ILE Module and Program (created on V3R7M0 and was on site before I got here), I have searched and it appears we do not have the source code. D: RMTPRTQ - I'm actually a little ignorant on this one, and not entirely sure of it's importance. Ours are LXK1DB999 and LXK1FBC47 where LXK1 is obviously a reference to our 2 Lexmark printers and the rest are some kind of Hex address. Once again I have looked thru the iSeries and our Network Server and can find no other reference to these. I would suggest you start with A, B & C and take it from there. Good Luck

Comment

Arthur, You may find the following Manuals useful AS/400 Printer Device Programming (SC41-3713) & AS/400 Workstation Customization Function Programmer's Guide (SC41-0056)

Comment

Does anybody know how to print to a printer attached locally to a PC at a remote site, which is attached to our network via TCP/IP? I tried a remote output queue specifying RMTSYS(*INTNETADR) RMTPRTQ('RAW') CNNTYPE(*IP) DESTTYPE(*OTHER) DESTOPT('XAIX') and using the IP address of the PC for INTNETADR parameter, but the spool file just sits on the output queue with the status SND. I've tried various combinations of the RMTPRTQ and DESTOPT parameters, but I always get the same result.

Comment

I've been pouring through these manuals trying to properly configure an Imagistics 3120. The bottom line for me, is that knowing where to place the codes is only as good as the manufacturer's technical information. In my case there isn't any to speak of, and support has been less than helpful. In other words, you have to know the codes in order to create the WSCST. Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X