Saving AS400 Spool files to tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving AS400 Spool files to tape

I am not aware of any "native" way to achieve this. There are several utilities you can purchase, SAVOUTQ from Generic Software is a good one, or I think that iSeries News has a free utility that converts spool files to physical files so you an save them and there is a corresponding restore spool file command.

BRMS does a good job too. I would recommend either BRMS or Save Outq from Generic Software.

Comment

I used the article on CPYSPLF at www.code400.com/cpysplf.php. Works great!

Comment

Well , some sources indicate IBM is going to introduce native spool file save in V5R4. The release date is not clear, maybe 1st quarter of 2006

Comment

Dusting off the cobwebs, I wrote a save spooled file article back in 91 for the old Midrange Computing. You can find the artcle here at Tim Johnston Ii "Saving and Restoring Spool Files" 10/1/91 12:01am">This Location. HTH and Merry Christmas.

Comment

Go to the IBM site under printer support and look QSPSETF and QSPPUTF. Theser are utilities develop by IBM.

Comment

The QSPGETF and QSPPUTF programs are not intended to be used for saving and restoring of spool files. These programs are intended to be used to send reports to IBM in service situations. From the IBM Service web site (with no idea how this might look): Bruce Vining ------------------------------ Document Title Using QSPGETF and QSPPUTF Print Utilities with Command Source (R510 and Above) Document Description This document covers usage of the QSPGETF and QSPPUTF print utilities. The command source and a save file for the GETSPLF and PUTSPLF commands are supplied if the user wants to use a command entry screen rather than doing a CALL QSPGETF or CALL QSPPUTF. These utilities work with all types of IBM® OS/400® or IBM® i5/OS™ spooled files including *SCS, *AFPDS, *IPDS, and *USERASCII spooled files. Caution: QSPGETF and QSPPUTF are not Application Programming Interfaces (APIs). They are unsupported utilities used to copy spooled files to a database file and back again for the sole purpose of sending the spooled file to the Rochester Support Center without having to do a remote signon. These utilities are not intended for saving and restoring or archiving OS/400 or i5/OS spooled files and are not guaranteed to restore the spooled file with 100 percent fidelity. Therefore, they should not be used in a production environment. If an OS/400 or i5/OS spooled file cannot successfully be copied to or from a database file using these utilities, IBM is under no obligation to diagnose nor fix these utilities. Furthermore, QSPGETF and QSPPUTF will be removed from the OS/400 or i5/OS in a future release. A new procedure will be created for the Rochester Support Center to retrieve spooled file information from a customer's system. To write a program that copies OS/400 or i5/OS spooled files to and from database files, refer the Get Spooled File Data (QSPGETSP) and Put Spooled File Data (QSPPUTSP) APIs in the AS/400 System API Reference (SC41-5801). The QSPGETSP and QSPPUTSP APIs can be used to copy an OS/400 or i5/OS spooled file to a user space and back and the program can copy the data stream from the user space to a database file and back again. Note: The QSPGETF print utility changed as of R510 (V5R1M0) because the spooled file number parameter in the various spooled file commands has increased from 4 digits (1 - 9999) to 6 digits (1 - 999999) and the SPLNBR variable in the GETSPLF command has changed from a TYPE(*INT2) to a TYPE(*INT4). Therefore, the attached save file and the QSPGETF command source in this document is not the same as those in the document for R320 through R450. If the QSPGETF and QSPPUTF print utilities are required on an older OS/400 or i5/OS system, refer to the following Rochester Support Center knowledgebase document: 8011926, Using QSPGETF and QSPPUTF Print Utilities with Command Source (R320 through R450): This document was last updated on 12/02/2004. Notice from the iSeries Memorandum to Users, Version 5 Release 3 - Programs QSPGETF and QSPPUTF to be Removed in Future Release Note: The following is stated in the iSeries Memorandum to Users, Version 5 Release 3: Programs QSPGETF and QSPPUTF have never been documented or supported as operating system APIs. In the release following V5R3, these programs will be removed. In preparation for this, remove any references to these programs from your application programs. Replace calls to QSPGETF and QSPPUTF with calls to documented and supported APIs for working with spooled files: o QUSRSPLA o QSPCRTSP o QSPOPNSP o QSPGETSP o QSPPUTSP o QSPCLOSP o QUSLSPL Appendix A of the IBM Redbook IBM AS/400 Printing III (GG24-4028-00), demonstrates how you can use the supported APIs to perform the same function as programs QSPGETF and QSPPUTF. IBM Backup Recovery and Media Services for iSeries and IBM Content Manager OnDemand for iSeries are examples of products that provide support for saving and restoring spooled files. For more information, refer to the following: iSeries Memo to Users Version 5 Release 3, in PDF format, URL http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...info/rzaq9.pdf IBM AS/400 Printing III abstract, URL http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redb...6?OpenDocument IBM AS/400 Printing III, GG24-4028-00, in PDF format, URL http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/pubs/pdf...s/gg244028.pdf Getting the GETSPLF and PUTSPLF Commands from the Attached Save File Creating the GETSPLF and PUTSPLF Commands from the Source Code Using the GETSPLF Command to Copy a Spooled File to a Database File Using the PUTSPLF Command to Create a Spooled File from a Database File Calling the QSPGETF Program Directly to Copy a Spooled File to a Database File Calling the QSPPUTF Program Directly to Create a Spooled File from a Database File Using FTP to Copy the Data Base File to a PC and Back to OS/400 or i5/OS

Comment

Does anyone know of an easy way to save AS400 spool files to tape so that they can be restored back to an OutQ? Thanks, Steve

Comment

Thanks for the information. I reason I use them, which is not often, is because these commands are able to save any AFP information. If the API's can do the same thing, I will look into them.

Comment

Working...
                  X