4232 302 on Jetdirect box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4232 302 on Jetdirect box

This is how we create ours: (DANTEST is the name I chose for the printer) CRTMSGQ MSGQ(QUSRSYS/DANTEST) TEXT('test create printer for Dan') CRTDEVPRT DEVD(DANTEST) DEVCLS(*VRT) TYPE(3812) MODEL(1) FONT(011) MSGQ(QUSRSYS/DANTEST) TRANSFORM(*YES) MFRTYPMDL('*IBM4230') TEXT('test create printer for Dan') CHGOUTQ OUTQ(DANTEST) RMTSYS('DANTEST') RMTPRTQ('RAW') AUTOSTRWTR(1) CNNTYPE(*IP) DESTTYPE(*OTHER) TRANSFORM(*YES) MFRTYPMDL('*IBM4230') DESTOPT('XAUTOQ XAIX') SEPPAGE(*NO) TEXT('test create printer for Dan') This may get you pointed in the right direction. Note that these statements are generated by a CL I wrote that allows selecting various printer types. Some og the parameters are specified twice (on the CRT and the CHG) that are not necessary, but I just did a copy/paste directly from the joblog. I'm sure it could be created as a *LAN device as well, but I never got around to working that one out. It works fine as *VRT, however *LAN works smoother if you can get it to work. -dan

We have had an engineer to this printer - it seems OK now. I would be interested in configuring it as a ' real ' printer rather then a RMTOUTQ - any ideas?

Comment

Any printer attached to your LAN can be configured as a "real" printer through iseries (client) access. The only problem is that the workstation (PC) has to be active in order to activate the printer session. Dave

Comment

Hi David, we have a lot of problems with this kind of printers (most are matrix printers Lexmark 239x/249x or 4227) attached with a Marknet box. When they are created as remote output queues, we cannot control correctly the spool commands as "start from page to page", "hold", "release" and so on). Can you give us the correct configuration to have this printers working as with a twinaxial connection ?? Thanks for help Rene

Comment

The printers do not work as a twinax connection. They are still LAN printers, but configured locally to the AS/400. From a PC connected to the AS/400 via client access, and also connected to the same LAN as the printer, go into the emulator directory and double-click on "Start or Configure a Session" Create a printer session specifying your LAN printer. Dave

Comment

What are your reasons for configuring as a "real" printer? And by "real" do you mean looking like a twinax? *LAN looks like that. For our reasons to use *VRT, see my comments to Renee a couple of paragraphs down. For *VRT it just takes a different command to start, STRRMTWTR instead of STRPRTWTR. But we wrote a STRWTR command that looks at the outq description and decides which command to use. We use all of our 4230's and 4247's as *VRT. Our HP lasers are almost all *LAN, but some that are cantankerous are still *VRT. All Zebra label priners are *VRT, as are all Printek's. Works great. User's don't know the difference. HP's also have network queues. User's just know they can print to HPs from the desktop as well as the 400, but can print to the others only from the 400. Renee, as for the 4247 not doing pagerange (and I bet copies, as well) in the commands I gave above, notice the DSTOPT parameters. That may fix some of your problems. It is these exact problems that caused me to abandon the *LAN configuration and go for *VRT. However, I feel sure someone with more patience than me could make the *LAN work. I am not at work right now, but I can get the exact configuration we use for the 4247s next time I am there if you would like. I think there is no difference from the 4230 setup except it would be MFRTYPMDL(*IBM4247). The above setups have been used with both HP JetDirects and Axis print servers.

Comment

It is interesting to see how much time You spend on getting a printer to work. For me it takes a couple of minutes, matrix or laser it works both. Page range printing are no problem. Take a look to Axis, MPI tech or IO printservers for IBM environment, they are more expensive then a HP Jetdirect but time are also money. Anders

Comment

My guess would be that you're still printing SNA? It's true that I may spend a lot of time getting printers to work native TCP/IP, but at a savings of just $50 per print server, that's more than my salary for a year. And once my work is complete on that printer, it takes just seconds on the 400 for more printers of the same type (another department handles the JetDirects, DNS and physical setup).

Comment

Who wants to use SNA today? No it is not SNA, it is TCP/IP. TN5250E for SCS printing over LAN. Anders

Comment

Sorry, I am not familiar with the IO and MPI servers, but someone still prints SNA, because AXIS still sells SNA print servers.

Comment

I don't want to go in to discussion regarding this, SNA are still used more on mainframe then AS/400. The printservers that supports SNA also supports TN5250E. Anders

Comment

I think you missed why I said anything about it at all. I agree with you that almost no one uses SNA anymore. However, Axis has an SNA server. You mentioned that the servers you used were more expensive. The standard Axis server is about the same price as the HP, but the SNA server (last time I checked) was about $100 more. I erroneously drew the conclusion you might be using SNA. Sorry. So, here, I'm going to risk doing it again. Does this mean you are configuring printers with Client Access?

Comment

Hi, I am wanting to attach a 4230 302 to a Jetdirect box on our network - and then print from the AS400. I am having problems with configuring the output queue - I am only getting a line of the report off and then then printer errors with invalid page length. Any idea of the correct set up? TIA Carl

Comment

Hi again, No I just use the printserver, the setup are done in the printservers web interface, no extra software. Check this printserver, placed in France 195.6.32.55 Anders

Comment

Working...
                            X