Printek printer configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printek printer configuration

We have a couple Printek 4503 printers on our network using TCP/IP as a *IP printer. It emulates an IBM4226 and we do have customized *WSCST probably for tractor (drawer) selection.

Scott, Is it *VRT or *LAN? Mine are running *VRT, and yes, my *WSCST is for tractor selection, but also for barcode.

Comment

I'm not sure what setting you are talking about for *VRT or *LAN????

Comment

CRTDEVPRT DEVCLS(*VRT) or DEVCLS(*LAN)

Comment

We have the printers setup as remote printers so there are not device description for them.

Comment

Then yours are the same as *VRT. It doesn't use the device description, even though one gets created if you use CRTDEVPRT to create it. Basically, the *VRT method has the destination information on the outq where *LAN has it in the device description. I'd like to get these working *LAN if possible. So far, every printer brand/model I have managed to get working *LAN has less problems than the ones left *VRT. Once I changed the HP lasers to *LAN, I got rid of the 3 different *WSCSTs, and configured them all the same regardless of which *WSCST they used. And the queues don't hang anymore. (Well, except for the rougue few that we had to leave *VRT). My Printeks, Zebras and IBM 42xx printers are still *VRT. The HPs (all models) and IBM 4332's are *LAN. I got very few 4230's and 4247's (20-30 and decreasing) left, so I'm not bothering with them. The Zebras don't really give me any problems. But the 50-60 or so Printeks aren't going away, and they give the most problems. And they're buying more all the time....

Comment

Take a look to the print protocoll TN5250E, supported by some internal network cards and some external printservers (Axis, IO, MPItech). There will be a device, *VRT, but You can print out a pagerange, it will change fonts,.... You don't need a *WSCST object as the printserver/network card will make the translation in the printserver. See more here http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc/.218b73e3 But You don't need a PC standing there next to the printer, just the printer with paralell, serial or USB port or maybe a internal network card supporting TN5250E.

Comment

Thanks, Anders. I'll check that out, maybe for new installations, but I can't afford to replace hundreds of JetDirects for the existing ones. I have an Axis here I can test with (I used it for the hex dump mode when writing the WSCST for the Printeks). For clarification, does it still communicate TCP/IP? The network guys had problems with our load balancing on the network years ago when we still had some SNA traffic, and they'd probably balk at returning to that. But if I remember from some earlier discussions in here, the TN5250E is not SNA, but some sort of protocol embedded in TCP/IP? No need for a lengthy answer, I'll RTDM.

Comment

Hi, It is not all Axis pritnservers supporting this protocoll, only the IBM Host to Lan printservers. TN5250E is using telnet port 23.

Comment

As long as people are talking printers, has anyone gotten a Printek printer 45xx series (or later, for that matter) working TCP/IP as a *LAN printer? Or working well as a *VRT? I have it working after a fashion as *VRT in Epson mode with a custom written *WSCST, but it's not perfect. I had to do some font substitutions, etc. Any thoughts?

Comment

Thanks for clarification. Actually, the first couple of Axi that were ordered here were the SNA capable servers that I think also do the TN5250E. So I think they will work, but I'll track them down and check the documentation. Thanks, Anders. -dan

Comment

Working...
                      X