splitting up a spooled file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• splitting up a spooled file

Sherri, CLOSE the print file after "completing" the invoice creation. Then OPEN (again) for the "next" one. kinda like, shampoo, rinse, repeat........... I have done this in both COBOL and RPG. Very easy

To enable a User Controled file use: RPG III: "UC" in the "File Condition" colum in the f-spec for the file. RPG IV: Use the "usropn" keyword on the f-spec Then open and close manually in the c-specs like Bentley suggests.

Comment

Thank you!!! I will try it and post any other questions I might have....

Comment

Sherry, if you are open for commercial products have a look at our tool "i4OUTQ-The OUTQmizer". It allows to split spools depending on content and execute any commands of it. Just browse to www.goering.de for details Best Regards Andreas Goering

Comment

Make the spool file user control then you use the operation codes OPEN and CLOSE. When ever you need a new invoice, close the old spool file and open a new one. This will not only create a new spool file but it will give you an opportunity to make changes. e.g number of copies, information in the user data fields, out queue, etc.

Comment

Sheri: another very powerful choice (if you want to go with a commericial product) is IBM's Infoprint Server software. Assuming that you are running V5, then the product is either alreay on your iSeries, or can be installed as a licensed program product. In either case, you get 70 days to test drive the product. Infoprint Server lets you split the spoolfile up into multiple pieces, and choose different output options for each segment, based on criteria you define. You can email the spoolfile to one or more recipients, print it, store it in the IFS, etc. You might want to check it out at Infoprint Server Information

Comment

I have been able to create separate spooled files for each invoice but on the 2nd invoice and forward it does not pull the printer attributes that our ERP system requires which includes a forms overlay. Example, It will print the 1st invoice fine and separates all the others but without the overlay. I cannot find in the program what I am doing wrong. Am I putting the open and close in the wrong place? The invoice program is HUGE and it has embedded objects within it. Has anyone heard of embedded objects within an RPG program? I'm having a time with this but at least I did get the spooled files separated. I am going to look into info print because I've exhausted everything I know on solving this problem. Thanks for everyone's help on this! Very much appreciated.

Comment

Sherri: Can you see some where in the program if OVRPRTF command is being used? This may be the way that the overlay is being associated with the print file. Just a thought, It could be that once you close the print file, you are losing the overlay that is specified for the print file. Never known of this type problem before. Is the overlay specified as part of the print file object? You can check this by using the chgprtf command, JUST DON'T press enter! If the overlay is part of the print file object, I have no idea why the program is not working correctly. Maybe someone else has another idea..

Comment

I have a problem that I believe cannot be done but I would like to post it and see if anyone has experienced this or hane any ideas. Our invoice program allows the user to select one or many invoices to print. If a user has selected more than one invoice, the program creates one spooled file for how ever many invoices were selected. The objective is to email some invoices, printer others. With the way the invoices are created, in one spool file, I cannot send an invoice, which is flagged to be emailed, to a specific outq and print the other one. I hope this makes sense. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe I could change the invoice program to create separate spooled files? I'm new to programming and not really sure how to do this. Thanks for anyone's input. From Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Sheri: I would agree with Bentley that it sounds like the process / subroutine in your RPG program that opens the spoolfile is somehow also associating the forms overlay with the print file. Maybe the close process is then 'losing' the OVRPRTF specs. If you have questions about what you can or can't accomplish with Infoprint Designer / Server after looking at IBM's website, you can send me a private email & I can you more info chip

Comment

Working...
                    X