Question on Font, code page, barcode, rules in PRTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Font, code page, barcode, rules in PRTF

I have a printer file DDS that is used by an IPDS printer (actually an HP printer with an IPDS box). I would like to change it to just do AFPDS instead. I do not see why I cant do this except I have a few weird things that happen: some of my data does not print. I have experimented with this and found that if I have moved some of the lines that are not printing that have FONT or FNTCHRSET to a different record and send that to print it will come out. Are there rules for AFP on how many different Fonts or barcodes, or whatever can be in one record? they are described at the field so I am assuming that it is a record thing. So why does it work with IPDS and not AFP? Is there an easier way to make my AFP stuff work? If I make it with AFP Utilities will it work then or will I still have the same problem and have to change the programs that do the printing to write to the "new" records I have to create to get the font changes, etc? Example 1: CHRSIZ does not work with AFPDS but does with IPDS. I can switch to FONT(245) and it works for CHRSIZ(2.0 2.0) but what can I use to get CHRSIZ(1.0 2.0)? Also, do I need to make each change of font or Barcode a new record? Example 2: When going from FONT to FNTCHRSET to FONT then FNTCHRSET it seems that the FNTCHRSET in the same record does not work and I get the defaul 10 font. What are the rules using FNTCHRSET and FONT? Thanks for any help understanding this. Carolyn
    Code

Question on Font, code page, barcode, rules in PRTF

from limited experience, please don't interpret as gospel. this was how this stuff was explained to me.... ??Are there rules for AFP on how many different Fonts or barcodes, or whatever can be in one record? --you will get error either at runtime or compile time if too many fonts used, can't remember which one or what nbr was. have used combination of 10 different fonts and barcodes on a test print file with no problem. Just remember that the more number of fonts you used, the slower you printer could run, depending on printer memory size and if you are using downloaded fonts or resident fonts. ??I have experimented with this and found that if I have moved some of the lines that are not printing that have FONT or FNTCHRSET to a different record and send that to print it will come out.... --Have seen this before, had to do with dflt border spacing and start points and printing just running out space on the page. In the CRTPRTF cmd, you will bee all kinds of attributes that will effect page size, positioning, etc. only had this issue when POSITION keyword was not used to define placement on all fields, etc in printfile. (POSITION(@A @B) with @A and @B = position-down and position-across). Always used POSITION keyword, that way I control exact placement and pagesize breaks. ex 1.. --you can combine all these types in one record. --you can define a dflt font one line after Record declaration. This will be used in that record unless overridden at field level. If no file or record level font is defined, will use dflt defined in CRTPRTF command. Ex2... --Have had issues using FONT keyword with AFP print files. was easier just to use FNTCHRSET defined fonts. FNTCHRSET are downloaded fonts so we knew what we were printing. When using FONT, sometimes it fell on what fonts were resident on the printer thus if it could not be translated to something resident, it was set to dflt value (usually 10pt courier). When you had different types of printers at different facilities, at times they printed differently due to FONT keyword. --If you are using the basic AFP fonts, your selection will be limited to mostly 8-12 pt fonts. If you have the AFP collection installed (check for libs qfnt01-qfnt10. these fonts are bundled with PSF), you have access to larger fonts up to and > 36pt. You can list these w/ WRKFNT... CL cmds) There are also outline fonts which allow you to set desired size. You printer(s) will need to support outline fonts if you go this way. We had printers from multiple manufacturers and had to use the FNTCHRSET fonts only since one printer type did not support outline fonts. hopefully this helps -j

Comment

Working...
    X