Printing spool file more than once

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing spool file more than once

Scott, Sounds to me like there is something on the print server that is causing it to print the 20 copies. Does the 400 print software on the server that does the communication between the 400 and the printer contain some configuration settings that you can look at to see if there is something preset that causes 20 copies of all 400 jobs? I think it's the 400 communication software on your server since no matter what 400 is sending the output, you get multiple copies, and when a word document is sent, it only prints one. That tells me the 400, Word, and the printer are not the causes of your problem. Hope this helps. Doug.

Thank you Doug. I can tell you that this print server is extremely old. It is just a network print server that converts the spool file over a parallel cable. Most of the printers out there are all using the same model. There really isn't anything on the print server that is 400 specific. I am totally baffled. I can look at the print server and nothing on it allows any type of advanced functions like number of pages, etc. Scott

Comment

Scott, If that's the case, and based on you saying it's an old printer, maybe there is something in the 400 datastream that the print server is interpreting as 20 copies. Also, did you check the workstation customization object for the printer? Maybe there is a phantom setup string in there. I just thought of that one! Doug.

Comment

What kind of print server is it? What kind of printer is it? Is it printing LAN or WAN? If WAN, what's the connection type? (We had a similar situation printing to an old Zebra through an old JetDirect, but only at our DSL locations, and only from the 400. Turned out we needed upgraded firmware on both the switch and the JetDirect.) -dan

Comment

I have a very strange situation. We have thousands of printers attached to one particular AS/400. All printers are configured as remote writers (because the hardware is so old they will not work as print devices). One printer in particular prints several copies of any spool file. If I print a one page spool file it will print 20 times at this printer. If I move the exact same spool file over to another printer it only prints once (which it should be doing). I tried setting up a remote writer on another AS/400 and pointed it to this troublesome printer and am getting the same results. I printed to it using my PC with a Word Document and it only printed 1 page. I ran a comm trace on this trouble printer and a working printer and the traces look very similar. I would say the trace has yielded nothing useful. The printer is very old and has a print server it uses to connect to the network. Any ideas? Scott

Comment

Change "Acknowledgment frequency . . . . . . . . . . . . : 100" to a smaller number on the PSFCFG. If you don't have 1 for the printer WRKPSFCFG *all and use and existing 1 to copy for the printer in question

Comment

Working...
            X