COPYPRT command

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COPYPRT command

I believe you can do the following, but have not tried it: 1. Run the COPYPRT procedure and identify the name of the printer file the procedure creates when you copy a disk file back to the spool. 2. Execute an OVRPRTF CL command right before the COPYPRT that will change the Font Identifier to *CPI. 3. Run the COPYPRT procedure to copy the disk file back to the spool and all should be well. 4. Execute a DLTOVR command to remove the override you just created so other jobs are not impacted. If you want to always have this parameter changed for the printer file being used by COPYPRT, then you can execute a CHGPRTF command and make the change there once. Beware, however, that if you upgrade OS/400, the change will be lost, so document the change and keep it in a safe place. Doug.

COPYPRT command

Thanks for the suggestion; however, it did not work for me. When I look out in my spool file, I see the spool file there with a fileid of "COPYPRT" - so I followed your suggestion and did an OVRPRTF on this print file changing the FONT ID to *CPI. I then ran the COPYPRT command again. I still get the same result - the new spool file still has the font id = *DEVD. I think the problem is that there is not really a *prtf that exists on the system by the name of COPYPRT - apparently it gets created on the fly by the COPYPRT command. Anyway, I was not able to get it to work for me. Another route that I have tried is to change the spool file attributes of the spool file after it is created. I have tried the CHGSPLFA command. This allows me to change most all of the attributes of the spool file - except for the FONT ID (which of course is the one that I need to change). Is there a way to change the FONT ID attribute of a spool file after it is created?

Comment

COPYPRT command

I think you are looking at the wrong field. Usually the IBM printer files begin with a Q. Send me a print screen of your spool display and I will tell you the field to use. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a 400 session, so I cannot research this quickly for you -- I am doing it from memory. Doug.

Comment

COPYPRT command

Thanks. Attached you will find a screen shot of my spool file. I also did an "8" (work with attributes) on the spool file and printed each screen shot of the attributes as I scrolled through them. When I first run the report (before doing the COPYPRT command to copy it to a disk file), the only attribute that is different is the FONT ID (it is *CPI then). After I run the COPYPRT command to copy the disk file back to the printer, you will notice that the FONT ID is set to *DEVD -- all of the other attributes remain constant. Thanks again for any advice or direction that you can provide.

COPYPRT.doc

Comment

COPYPRT command

The device file name is what you are looking for, I think. It is on page #2 of the "8" screen. It says it is called P1 and is located in #LIBRARY. So when you run the CHGPRTF command, substitute P1 for the printer file name and #LIBRARY for the library name, and use the appropriate parameter to specify your font-id. That should do it -- let me know how it goes. If it does work, don't forget to do the DLTOVR to remove the override for the font. I noticed your system name is AIRT400. Do you work for Airtouch?

Comment

COPYPRT command

I tried it -- still the same result. I did look at the print file called P1 in library #LIBRARY -- it is already set to have a font id of *CPI; but I still tried the OVRPRTF - just to make sure that it was that. I still wind up with the font id set to *DEVD after the COPYPRT command. I am just beating my head against the wall with this one. I have tried everything that I can think of, as well as your recommendations (which make perfectly good sense and seem like they should solve the problem); but I still get the same result. Thanks for all of your suggestions. If you have any more ideas, please let me know. I am at a loss for what to do next. I don't work for Airtouch. I work for a company named "Air T, Inc.". We are an aviation, overnight, cargo delivery company (we are a contractor that primarily flies planes that are painted in the purple and orange paint scheme -- ie. FedEx). Thanks again for all of your help. I hope that I am not wasting too much of your time; but I really appreciate your input.

Comment

COPYPRT command

Here's one more thing to try: It looks like COPYPRT is processing 10cpi printer files fine and is not processing 15cpi printer files correctly. If that is the case, then I would look at the printer file definition again. Check to see that the width is 198. If not, then that may be your problem. I remember that I had to have one printer file defined for 198 column reports, and another one defined for 132 column reports. What state are you located in? Hope this helps. Doug.

Comment

COPYPRT command

Hey Doug, You are right. If I change the printer definition to 198 then that solves the problem for my condensed reports. Of course, then all of my non-condensed reports print in condensed format also. I guess I may have to set up 2 different printer definitions - one for condensed and one for non-condensed. It just seems that there should be some way to over-ride the printer definition for this COPYPRT command. My problem only exists when I send the reports through the COPYPRT routine. If I just print directly to the printer, everything is fine - condensed reports are condensed and non-condensed reports are not. Oh well, I guess that's what I get for still trying to run old System 36 commands. Thanks again. I am located in North Carolina (just NW of Charlotte). James

Comment

COPYPRT command

James, WAIT!!! If the COPYPRT is your only issue, then change the OVRPRTF command to override to a printer file that does the condensed print / non condensed print automatically. That should do it. Doug.

Comment

COPYPRT command

I am trying to use an old S/36 command (COPYPRT) to copy a spool file to a disk file and then later copy it back to a printer file to be printed. It works great except for one thing. One of the spool file attributes gets changed during this process. When the spool file is originally created, it has a Font Identifier of "*CPI". After I use the COPYPRT command to copy the spool file to a disk file, and then use the COPYPRT command to copy the disk file back to a printer file - the Font Identifier is "*DEVD". It is causing me a problem, because some of the spool files that I do this to are condensed (15 CPI) and some are not (10 CPI). As long as the spool file has the font identifer as being "*CPI", it handles condensing or not condensing. When the font identifier changes to "*DEVD", the reports all print the same way (either condensed or not condensed - depending on how I have the device description defined). Is there anyway to carry this attribute along?

Comment

COPYPRT command

What do you mean?

Comment

Working...
                      X