Create printer device with different outq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create printer device with different outq

We wrote a STRWTR command. It looks at an exception file to choose special situations. For others, it looks at the outq via and AIP and decides whether to use STRPRTWTR or STRRMTWTR. I don't know of an easy way to accomplish what you are asking. -dan

Posting a follow-up: I verified through IBM support that the only way to do this is when the writer is started and you specify the outq. (If you start the writer without optional parameters it will use the outq with the same name as the device). For now, I renamed the old device and outq, then renamed the new ones to have the name of the old ones so the programs don't have to change. Once we change the programs I can rename them back to the correct name.

Comment

When I create a printer device (CRTDEVPRT), this automatically creates an output queue by the same name as the printer device. Does anyone know of a way to change the output queue attached to the printer device so when the writer is started with the default option for OUTQ(*DEV) it will use the new output queue? I know that I can STRPRTWTR and prompt the command to specify the output queue. The problem is that if the writer stops and someone starts it without changing the default output queue from *DEV to the required outq all our programs that send spool files directly to a certain output queue will no longer print on this device. you may ask how I got into this mess. We had an old twinax printer and a bunch of programs that send spool files directly to the outq for that printer. I just replaced that printer with an IBM Infoprint ethernet connected. Until we have a hault in production so I can change all the programs to send spool files to the new outq, I need to have the old outq print on the new device.

Comment

Try this: Duplicate YOURQ to YOURQTCP. On command line, type CFGTCP then option 10 for "Work with TCP/IP host table entries". Add an entry in there with the IP address of the printer and use YOURQTCP as the host name. Print a test page to the YOURQTCP queue to make sure it works. If it does, then all you need to do is change the entry to utilize your original outq.

Comment

Working...
        X