Calling a Word Document from the iSeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling a Word Document from the iSeries

We bought a self-study course on using Word with the iSeries. The course is called, "Microsoft Word with the iSeries" by G. Wayne Hawks. It involves storing your Word documents in the IFS where they can be copied up to the iSeries, manipulated, and then copied back. The course is $295.00, and I feel it was well worth the money. We used it to finally get rid of Office Vision! The course is available at www.lab400.com. I found another product called "Batch & Print Pro". This software runs on any server where Word is installed. It monitors any directory for specific file types, and prints them according to instructions that you setup. This software was on $50.00, and works like a champ. It's available at www.traction-software.co.uk, and you can download a copy to try out. There's still a lot of programming to do, but with the method that Mr. Hawks describes in his course and the Batch & Print Pro software, you can have a completely automated system. Bruce

Use a combination of the STRPCO and STRPCCMD commands within a CL, or alternatively use the RUNRMTCMD command. Dave

Comment

Depending on what the application of this is, you can accomplish this by displaying the location of the file as a URL on an iSeries screen. When a user clicks on the URL, PC5250 will navigate to that URL. Here's an example of how the URL would look to link to a Word document on a network server mapped to drive G: file://G:SomeDocument.doc When this text is displayed in PC5250, it becomes clickable and will load the document automatically. If you don't want the user to have to initiate displaying the document, then RUNRMTCMD is your best bet.

Comment

Since you can store any type of files/documents under IFS I suggest you store all your word documents under a specific folder. Map this folder on your PC. This way the user(s) will have direct access to this folder under windows. It will feel as if he has another drive under windows. He won't even notice that the documents reside on the 400. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Comment

Bruce: As a matter of fact I am working for a company that is trying to move off of OfficeVision/400. Do you have any advice as to how to approach this type of conversion. So far the primary issue seems to be how to address On-demand printing with mapped documents. I have asked my boss to buy the Microsoft Word with the iSeries course. Thanks Noel Manley nmanley@jandpholdings.com

Comment

Bruce: One more thing. Do you know of good reference regarding IFS. My knowledge on this subject is non-existent. Thanks.

Comment

We use STRPCO and STRPCCMD to invoke a Word help document (.doc file) stored on the IFS. You need to create a .cmd file in the Windows folder on each PC or add the appropriate PATH to the Winword.exe (see code below). As you will noticed, our 400 is mapped in Network Places as "Q+sysname" and documents are stored in /public/help on IFS (DOS uses backslashes not slashes) Hope that helps
              Code

Comment

I was left with a half baked Java project by a flash in the pan programmer that graced us with his presence for a few months, that took RTF to XML then to PCL in an attempt to replace Office Vision. I worked with it for a number of months and learned quite a bit about Java, and am confident this approach will work, but it seemed to be a real dog. It works in quite slow in Development but doesn't seem to be ready for a Production environment handling thousands of documents. Has anyone taken a similar approach and been able to get to Production speed?

Comment

Comment

PGM CRTDTAARA DTAARA(QTEMP/STRPCO) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(1) + TEXT('START PCO DATA AREA') MONMSG CPF0000 STRPCO PCTA(*NO) MONMSG MSGID(IWS4010) STRPCCMD PCCMD('START F:USERS/KAYET/WORD/NEXTONE.DOC ') PAUSE(*NO) ENDIT: ENDPGM Nextone could be a passed variable name to access different documents based on the need. Note: You must make sure that the Users have permission to the word document. The word document must not contain any blanks in the name. I would like to find a way to send some Cl commands to several word documents and squeeze the contents into a new word document that will print.

Comment

Does anyone know how to call a word document from the iSeries. In the alternative, is anyone aware of any software that can create a document in Word based on data in the iSeries. Specifically, Word must be invoked (letters, reports, etc.) on-demand from iSeries-based applications; e.g. a Word-based letter mapped to an iSeries-based name and address file.

Comment

use the field code "includetext" (insert field). I have a detail line and total lines in my document, and rather than repeat the formating ad nauseum I have a "master" document containing: { INCLUDETEXT "C:\My Documents\Word\Detail.doc" } { INCLUDETEXT "C:\My Documents\Word\Total.doc" } There are caveats. The braces cannot be keyed directly. You can do an insert field or CTRL F9 in WORD. If you use insert field, the back slashes are singles when you key, and become doubles when they appear in text. WORD also has a master/subdocument concept to merge large documents from different sources.

Comment

Working...
                        X