TechTip: Spooled Files and PDF, Part One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The array of locations contains 32000 elements (the maximum allowed) and each spool page takes 4 locations ....... Don't forget what I said in the article ".. for heavy-duty purposes you shoul consider buying a 3rd party software like IBM infoPrint..." Btw maybe the utility in part 3 (coming soon) will solve your problem.

Comment

Not knowing JAVA or C I was hoping. Anyway, I have attached a data que to an outque to monitor spoolfile that are sent to it. I'm using your program form a CL to then convert them to PDF, but SCS2PDFR is coming up with the error - Error CrtPDFstmf : unlink() failed. 3029 : Resource busy.. I see in your program where this is generated but don't know what is causing it. Thanks

Comment

Actually we are using the same technique (outq with dtaq) to produce our account stmts (150,000 each month) but we never had such a problem. Make sure that the program has all the rights to the directory.

Comment

Giuseppe, This solved a major problem for me. With another product I was stuck delivering 132 and 198 column reports in 8.5 x 11 PORTRAIT to top managers of the company. I was not happy about that and they were not impressed with my work. After discovering our OS did not have Option 13 installed and fixing that; everything is working wonderfully, and the managers are happy too. Tim Carlo Pella, Iowa

Comment

Does this also work for spool files created with AFPDS? Also where is the code for the initial command setup?

Comment

After installing option 13 (or any other option), you should reload you Cumulative PTF discs. They may contain fixes for that specific option that weren't applied before, because the option didn't exist before. And also check IBM's PTF database, searching on "openness". The PTFs can usually be installed *IMMED, since they're just updating the info in the sample header files.

Comment

I'm having trouble opening the .pdf file, once it has been created. I copied the file to my desktop, but when I try to open it with Adobe Reader 6.0 I get the following error message: There was an error opening this document. There was a problem reading this document (110). Does anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks, Mary

Comment

I have the files on my PC, how do I move them to my QRPGLESRC file?? I am an ISeries newbie Thanks in advance Paul Stenlund Net Admin Port of Longview

Comment

Hi Jhspepa, I noticed that you are saying that you compiled the programs. I'm wondering if you could tell me how you did that, I'm always getting an compilation error. I attached the output of the compilation CRTBNDRPG PGM(LIBxxx/SCS2PDFD) SRCFILE(LIBxxx/QRPGLESRC) DFTACTGRP (*NO) ACTGRP(*NEW) BNDDIR (QC2LE) Binding directory object QC2LE in library QSYS specified more than once. Definition not found for symbol 'GETCWD'. Program SCS2PDFD in library LIBxxx not created. Compilation failed. Program SCS2PDFD not created in library LIBxxx. Program SCS2PDFD in library LIBxxx not created. Compilation failed. Program SCS2PDFD not created in library LIBxxx. Thank you in advance Chris

Comment

I'm getting a weird problem when a "|" is in a spool file...it treats it as a *CRLF character and doesn't show the entire spool file... Shane

Comment

Hi Mr Costagliola; I was able to get the programs to run, and it ran really nice, except when I displayed the pdf, no information was displayed. When I look at the file thru ifs, I can see all the data that was in the spool file. Help Thanks for your help

Comment

I'm having trouble opening the .pdf file, once it has been created. I am using Adobe 5.0. bu when I try to open it I get the error message: "There was an error opening this document. There was a problem reading this document (110)". When I look at the document in Word etc; all the data seems to be there. Could anyone advice a solution - thanks Nigel

Comment

Did you ever get this to work? I have the same problem.

Comment

This problem was that the code for program converted to capital letters for the "PR" statement.

Comment

I found the same error in the dicussion list, however my spool file is only a 400 page cobol compile listing. I have only written 21,756 records to cpyspool file. The guy who posted the message below was trying PDF a 20,000 page report... Any ideas: Got an array index error while trying to create a PDF file for a 20,000 plus pages spool file. Following is the part of error message: 1181721 records copied to file CPYSPOOL in QGPL. Range of subscript value or character string error. Function check. MCH0603 unmonitored by SCS2PDFR at statement 0000000622, instruction X'0000'. The call to WRITEPAGES ended in error (C G D F).

Comment

Working...
                                X