TechTip: Spooled Files and PDF, Part One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Spooled Files and PDF, Part One **
    Dear Giuseppe, I downloaded your procedure and enjoyed it very much. Easy and efficient. I also encountered 2 problems to which I hope you can supply me with solutions : 1. Bold Lines - As you know, copying Bold lines to PF result in two (2)lines, the second preceded by a "+" sign. When trying to transform a spool containing Bold lines, the resulting PDF document contained DOUBLE identical lines and NOT a single Bold line which would be the expected result. Can you help me there ? 2. Being from Israel, we (most peculiarly, I agree) usually use another CCSID, namely 424. When trying to transform a Hebrew document I found myself with very strange characters which bear little resemblance to the Hebrew alphabet. I assume it has to do with the translation table. Can you help me in finding the right one ? I have to admit that RPGLE is not my forte, I don't even know the language. I did find some known resemblance to the old RPG language I once knew but nothing more. So, I would like your most appreciated help to be detailed so I could enter the required changes in the relevant program/s. Thanking you in advance, Moti. P.S. If emailing me would be easier, my email is : ms@hhm.co.il.

Comment

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Spooled Files and PDF, Part One **
      I have some reports that use bold and/or underline for readability. The resulting spool file generates records with a '+' (suppress space before printing) control code. I'll try to tweak your program to handle this as time permits. Any hints on how boldface and underline are handled would be appreciated. I don't have access to an uncompressed PDF file using bold and underline to see what should be generated. Until then, I'll just build a single text line and drop the underline attribute so that the reports are formatted correctly. I may also front-end your utility with a wrksplf-like front end. Looking forward to the rest of this article.

Comment

You can handle UNDERLINE as in the raw code box
        Code

Comment

For the underline problem see next posting. For the CCSID I really don't know how to test. However 3rd and 4th issues will present a different way of converting splf that (maybe) can solve your problem. Stay tuned.

Comment

Giuseppe hi, First of all I would like to thank you for your prompt response and the solving of one of my problems. I already tested it and it came out just right. In regard to my other problem - CCSID : You probably use native EBCDIC 2 ASCII transformation tables in your program (SCS2PDFR). As I mentioned before, I don't exactly know RPGLE, so I'll need your help. Can I (by the use of some override) change the tables used in the program ? I am certain that I'll find the right table. All I need to do is search for it. If you could assist me in the matter of changing the transformation tables I would be most grateful. Thanking again in advance, Moti.

Comment

The conversion table is built at the beginning in InzTblAscii using as input CCSID the CCSID of the job and as output CCSID 819. However if you know the right table you can initialize it in the procedure: TblAscii = x'0001020304.......' + x'...............FF' ; return TblAscii;

Comment

1. I THINK I have the right table. Inasmuch as any OVR is not applicable, I will probably have to type the input/output parameters. 2. Are the lines that you gave as an example a replacement for the following lines ? // create table CDRCVRT (CCSID:0:TblEbcdic:256:819:0:0:256:TblAscii:L3:L4: FB); // return table return TblAscii; 2. Just reminding you of my (non-existent) knowledge of RPGLE : If the input parameters are to be displayed from 00 until FF, how do I continue from a line to another ? Because obviously one line will not be enough... Thank you, Moti.

Comment

If you have the right table you can get the source with RTVTBLSRC and then copy/paste the hex lines into the return statement like this: return x'00010203...........' + x'.................FF'; Giuseppe.

Comment

Giuseppe hi, I tried to replace the TblAscii with data from my own table but keep getting errors. The PDF document is created but I'm unable to open it. I hereby attach a Word document containing the message received when trying to open the PDF document after creating it using the QASCII table. This is the message named "Second error". Using another table I got the "First error" message. I also attach below the lines that I entered in the SCS2PDFR program (related to the second message). By the way : I just tried to look at the PDF document by way of the WRKLNK and option 5 (display ther contents of a stream file), and to my utter surprise all is well and I see the Hebrew characters as they should be. What's the difference ? What's the problem ? Please help !!!
                    Code [file name=6b212b12_Adobe error.doc size=24]http://www.mcpressonline.com/images/fbfiles/files/6b212b12_Adobe error.doc[/file]

Comment

Giuseppe, I've uploaded the programs to my AS/400. I've compiled the small RPG program, but the large one has errors. I'm no longer an RPG guy, but it seems like the main problem is in the following statement, where it appears that it can't find a source member called QUSEC in library QSYSINC. Is that right? Is that something that should already be on my system (V5R2)? 46 /COPY QSYSINC/QRPGLESRC,QUSEC ======> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa *RNF0273 40 a 004600 Compiler not able to open the /COPY or /INCLUDE file; directive ignored. 47 DQUSED01 60 Thanks. David Morrison

Comment

It's on my 5.1 box. None of my 5.2 or 5.3 boxes have compilers on them and they don't have the QSYSINC library at all. -dan

Comment

> 46 /COPY QSYSINC/QRPGLESRC,QUSEC You need to load the System Openness Includes. I think it's option 13. --buck

Comment

Option 13 is correct. This is the first time I've had to delve into the (previously-shrink wrapped) package of CD's that came with the machine!

Comment

I think that the problem is with the PDF keys that use square brackets and backslash, but maybe you should create a simple PDF and send it to me so I can give it a look.

Comment

A simple PDF ? I don't have any problem with creating/reading a PDF document that does not contain any Hebrew characters, so I won't send you one of these. I am creating an "Hebrew" PDF document that I'm not able to open and send it to you. The error I'm getting is 110 (As appears in the Word document that I sent yesterday). Here it is (as an attachment). I do hope that you will be able to help me in this problem, because the solution will save my firm something in the area of $6,000 (IBM product). I will also enclose (in the next letter because I found out that I'm restricted to only one attachment per letter) a Word document that shows the Spool (or at least part of it) as it appears on the AS400. I assume your Hebrew isn't so good, but it will at least show you how it's supposed to look like. Thank you.[file name=6b21300d_ELSHPRT_20050120.pdf size=24]http://www.mcpressonline.com/images/fbfiles/files/6b21300d_ELSHPRT_20050120.pdf[/file]

Comment

Working...
                                X