Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 173

Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 190

Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 191

Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 197

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 6509

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 212

Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 251

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 4998

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 1585

Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 1601

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 6509

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 212

Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 251

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 4998

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 1585

Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 1601

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb5/route/profile.php on line 74
TechTip: Spooled Files and PDF, Part Four - MC Press Online Forums

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TechTip: Spooled Files and PDF, Part Four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTip: Spooled Files and PDF, Part Four

I am also getting this error. Did you ever resolve it? If so how?

TechTip: Spooled Files and PDF, Part Four

Seems I did not have QFNTCPL on my system. I am now getting the pdf, but it seems that I am getting "bad magic number 6950" on spool files that are generated with an overlay/form using iForm. Any ideas on what my cause this?

Comment

Re:TechTip: Spooled Files and PDF, Part Four

We have been using the AFP2PDF command for some time. It is now causes problems with the latest version of Adobe Professional. The PDF files that AFP2PDF creates are PDF Version 1.1, which I am told is extremely out of date. I considered trying to update the libtiff and zlib directories but am reluctant to tinker with anything I do not fully understand. Any ideas?

Comment

This article includes two links to download code. One is for the contents of the libtiff-3.7.2, and the other is for the iSeries source files that are to be placed in QAFP2PDF. Neither link works. Could you please provide updated links -or- some other method to download the code?

Comment

Downloadable Code

Please find attached the downloadable code for this article.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Victoria Mack
          Executive Editor
          MC Press
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks so much for the quick response! However, there were two parts needed for the tool explained in the article. The QAPF2PDF that you provided was one, could you provide the link, or download, for the other part? The part in the artcle that says "Download the content of the libtiff-3.7.2"... Thanks!

Comment

RE: LibTiff broken link

To access the LibTiff link, I had to manipulate the HTTP address since I figured it was an old release at this point. Instead, use: ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/libtiff/
              This will give you a list of current releases. If you really want the 3.7.2 version, it can be found within the "Old" folder.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2019, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion! I had actually found the “old” section and downloaded the tiff-3.7.2.zip file (which had a folder called libtiff). But what I found is that not everything the tool needed was in there. The first thing missing was an object called tif_AS400.c, so I was not able to completely install the tool. MC Press Online was able to send me the exact download needed, so I was able to finally get the tool up and running. There are apparently problems posting that file in the forum, but once that is resolved, they plan to provide the link. Thanks again!

Comment

After trying this all day yesterday and having difficulties, I have also asked that they send me the tiff-3.7.2 version they have. Running the REXX procedures, I had problems with fields not being defined or defined at the wrong length (TIFFFaxMainTable, TIFFFaxWhiteTable, and TIFFFaxBlackTable in tif_fax3sm.c). Hopefully that will solve my issues.

Comment

That should fix it. Once I had the correct libtiff-3.7.2 file, everything compiled just fine.

Comment

Hi,

I too am trying to get the AFP2PDF tool to compile, and I'm struggling!! I've got QAFP2PDF.zip and a version of tiff-3.7.2 but I don't think I've got the right one.

would you possibly send me tiff-3.7.2.zip so I can compile it or let me know where you got your version from ?

Thanks Daniel

Comment

Downloadable Code

Attached please find the complete code for this article.

Victoria Mack
                        Executive Editor
                        MC Press Online
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice work Victoria, thank you.

I downloaded the attachment "SpoolPdf - Four..zip", followed the instructions from the included word document 'pdf4.doc' (basically the text from the original article but I have trouble with the comments overlapping the article on that page) and hey presto, AFP to PDF conversion.

I'm very pleased with the accuracy of the conversion - it's using Host Print Transform so I shouldn't be surprised but nevertheless I am. The output almost exactly matches the print, and also the output from our favorite PDF generation tool SPOOLAMATIC by Gumbo. So it's a big tick for accuracy.

Speed is very good too - my independent tests indicate it takes practically no time at all, which is nice.

Caveats
                          Firstly output is only Black and white - no 32 bit CMYK FS45 support which is a shame but understandable given IBM's unenthusiastic stance on implementing colour printing in HPT.

Secondly File size: My test PDF came out at 38k for two pages, almost 5 times more than the SPOOLAMATIC output of 8k. That's because the tool is using HPT to generate a single snapshot image of each page rather than inserting all the different elements - text, fonts, barcodes etc. which leads us to...

Thirdly No Searchable text.

So for us it's a classic decision - low cost / low quality or high cost / high quality - and we're planning on using this tool to expand the choices we can offer our customers.

Thank you Giuseppe for putting together the original article and releasing this excellent tool, and thank you Victoria for curating the archive and keeping it alive.

Regards

Daniel Webb
                          Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Hi,

I'm new in this forum, but I have the same issue: convert *AFPDS spool files into pdf format. I read most of this thread and it seems to be right for my problem. I've already downloaded libtiff 3.7.2 library... Can I have the permission to download QAFP2PDF.zip, too? Thanks in advance.

Sandro

Comment

thank you, Victoria

I downloaded the files above, and all works perfectly, now.
                              Thank you very much for your help!

Sandro

Comment

Working...
                              X