TechTip: Spooled Files and PDF, Part Four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Spooled Files and PDF, Part Four **
    The problem is not with anything that you are doing on the AS400, but rather with excel. Format the column as custom and specify 0000000 for the mask. Dave

Comment

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Spooled Files and PDF, Part Four **
      We are having problems with the fonts from an AFP report being converted correctly. To illustrate the point we wrote an AFP report prints out all the different fonts on our iSeries. I have added three Attachements: 1. The first attachment is what the report looks like when we release the spool file directly to the printer. (I printed the page out and then scanned it into a JPG file.) 2. The second attachment is the spool file converted to tiff by the programs presented in your fourth article on PDF conversion. 3. The third attachment is the pdf that gets converted from the tiff. You will notice that the fonts in the printed spool file do not match those fonts in the tiff and pdf. Do you have any ideas as to why this is happening?[file name=6b272220_Spool2PDF.zip size=24]http://www.mcpressonline.com/images/fbfiles/files/6b272220_Spool2PDF.zip[/file]

Comment

When you print your spool, the printer uses resident fonts or mapped according to the printer specific wscst. When you convert to tiff there are no resident fonts. In practice a dds that contains: A TEXT 30 FONT(4407 (*POINTSIZE 12)) probably will print fine on a afp printer but won't properly convert to tiff. while A TEXT 80 FNTCHRSET(C0H200B0 T1001144) should convert to tiff.

Comment

We have two forms, one created by Microsoft Word and the other by Microsoft Publisher. When we send the forms through the AFP2PDF routine, both the Microsoft version and the Publisher version comes out fine if the user profile has security officer level clearance. If the user profile is less then a security officer level, however, only the PDF derived from Miscrosoft Word version works. The PDF derived from the Publisher version turns out junk that is not recognized as a tiff by the tiff2pdf program. Any ideas as to why this is happening? P.S. I have included the two forms(overlays) in the attached save files if you need to take a look.[file name=6b274b98_AFPOverLays.zip size=24]http://www.mcpressonline.com/images/fbfiles/files/6b274b98_AFPOverLays.zip[/file]

Comment

When I try to compile at V5R1 I get the following errors: InfBuffer += QSPLBI; // Length Buffer Info QWPNBRCP -= 1; // Number Complete Pages QWPNBRCP += 1; // Number Complete Pages (Expecting an assignment operator) Which I changed to: InfBuffer = InfBuffer + QSPLBI; // Length Buffer Info QWPNBRCP = QWPNBRCP - 1; // Number Complete Pages QWPNBRCP = QWPNBRCP + 1; // Number Complete Pages Also, the following fields are undefined: QWPJSN, QWPSCD, and QWPSCT Can you guide me as to what I can do to correct the undefined issues? Thanks, Mike

Comment

All of my problems were related to compiling at V5R1. The corrections mentioned above to the "+=" operations were the correct ones. The fields that were not defined were added in the V5R2 version of the QWPZHPTR (QwpzHostPrintTransform) API. I had to: 1) Remove (comment out) them from the end of the associated prototype definition (QSPOPNSP) 2) Change the call to QSPOPNSP to have only 8 parameters (drop the last three). 3) Remove (comment out) the use of the fields when ProcessOption = 20 After the above changes, the program worked fine. Thanks, this will fill our needs.

Comment

I am trying to transform AFP files now and have a very similar alignment problem. I have tried using *A4 and *Letter, they change my results but don't fix the problem. I don't see any relevant PTFs for the transformation API. Did you find a solution to the problem? Thanks Colin And thanks to Costagliola for a great tool - if I can get IBM's part working.

Comment

You can create only the pdf: move the overlay position in the dds in order to get a perfet alignment. Then you print the pdf directly. There are many ways to do it, for example: QIMGCVTI (if you have infoprint), "pdfp.exe" if you can runrmtcmd, Ghostscript if you like the Pase adventure, and more freeware tools that "listen" to a folder and print the pdf as soon as it arrive .... and forget the spooled file. My utility relies on a IBM API. If the resulting image is already misaligned, just ask IBM to fix.

Comment

Hi, Thank you for wonderful utility. recently we started using AFP2PDF utility to convert spool files to PDF then merge them to single PDF. we send it as email. we are getting this message Intermittently. we added monitor message for it. on the next successful conversion we are getting merged PDF file with spool files that had this error. How can we stop this. How can we handle resource busy message. our OS/400 version is V5R3.I have attached joblog Please let me know if you need additional information. thanks for your advice, sayi.
                    Code

Comment

I am trying AFP2PDF, bur it resoults with the following error can you explain me how to resolve it' Thanks in advance Pietro Battisti -------- ID messaggio . . . . . : CPF9898 Data di invio . . . . : 19/10/06 Ora di invio . . . . . : 14:45:10 Messaggio . . . : TIFFReadDirectory: /conversioni/GOCA15P.tiff: Can not read TIFF directory count.

Comment

Working...
                      X