Map Spool File Data to Overlay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Spool File Data to Overlay

Please excuse the length of the post but I am new here and not quite sure how to get across what I need. We have a spool file that we do not have source for, it's from our financial application and cannot be changed. I need to take data from that spool file and place it in specific location on an overlay that includes our logo, some boxes, a watermark, and a few other graphics. I have created and uploaded the overlay with no problem, and attached it to the spool file. The overlay prints great, but the spool file data prints exactly like it looks in the spool file. How can I map the spool file data to a position on the overlay?

For example, in the spool file (MYSPOOLF) the employee name is on line 4, beginning in position 20 for a length of 30 characters. I need the employee name to be printed, with the overlay (MYOVERLAY), in the position of 1 inch down and 2 inches across.

Is there a way to do this without using a purchased package? Someone told me InfoPrint did this, but I don't think we have that (is there a way to check?).

Thanks in advance for any info (the "For Dummies" version would be especially appreciated!).

nothing is free

I do just what you are speaking of but I have Infoprint Designer and Infoprint Server. Works very well once you get the hang of it. Not free - the old printer services group used to handle it... If you find something free - let me know!

Comment

Map Spool File Data to Overlay

Hi,

Try to use the free version of SpoolFactory (www.spoolfactory.com), which will allow you to make what you want, but only in an one-by-one basis. In the commercial version, which is not so expensive, you can set up rules and every time you are running your report it will create the Overlay as you designed.

Good Luck

Comment

You could do a command dspffd on the existing print file and use the record format and field definitions shown to create a different print file with fields positioned to where you want them. As long as they are defined the same (name and field length and type) and are all in the same order. You should be able then to override to this new file with your overlay.

Comment

Working...
        X