Buying a As400 - iSeries - System i for software development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a As400 - iSeries - System i for software development

vieux asked: What can I do to get the best machine at the lowest price? It really depends on what you mean by "best machine". If you are referring to top of the line with all the bells and whistles; software options; hardware and software support; etc, then you are approaching $750,000! On the other hand, if you remove "best machine" from the equation you could pick up a used box at the low end with enough software options to be considered adequate for about $3,000. and even less in some cases. Dave

A colleague of mine was asking the very same questions, and then stumbled across some web sites that provide hosting for 5250 emulations. For what was, if I remember correctly, a one off and very reasonable amount of money, he was given the web-site and a user ID and password. It was something like virtualiseries.com, but my memory is beginning to let me down on these matters. Google would be your best bet at this point. I suppose if you wanted to go down the Operations route, then investing in the hardware and building your own partitions and stuff is probably the way forward. I picked up a machine for around £300 (yes, GBP) 2 years ago with V5R1 pre-installed. It's the support and maintenance contracts that will make your eyes water, but at this kind of money I can run it till it blows and then replace it! Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Comment

In fact I meant 'The best machine for a reasonable price' I can't decide between buying a used AS400 (might be able to get one for 1500$), a 515 or waiting to get a brand new blade (I think 10000$ will be the base price). I heard one could get pretty good rebates if he is an IBM partner (or developer, or whatever... can't remember for sure). And yeah, the ugly part is software and hardware upgrades. Precisely, all I need, for the moment, is V5R3 (minimum), DB2, SQL. Sure, Websphere would be great, but I wont pay the big price for it. I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting an affordable machine for software development. While the TimeShare option is great for learning and keeping up with the latest improvements and techniques, I wouldn't rely on that for the development of a commercial product.

Comment

If you're developing a commercial product and willing to go through the paperwork of IBM's partner program, you can probably qualify for a 50% discount on a model 515, plus software and support. It sounds like the "express" configuration on the 515 would suite your needs nicely. Nathan.

Comment

That would be great, I guess. Now, let's try to find these forms on their website...

Comment

This isn't easy if you're a lone programmer. With the maintenance agreements and the constant need for applying updates and PTF's, and the potential power requirements, I found it too costly and time consuming. It's much easier and cost effective to go with a hosted solution. Then, all you have to do is program and let the hosters worry about all the rest. If you ever become rich and famous and expand your business, then you can buy several and hire staff to run them. Good luck. Please let us know what you decide. Tom

Comment

I looked briefly at trying to figure this out awhile back. What I recall about it was something about IBM forbidding software transfers after a certain release (V5R1?) and not being able to understand much of anything about what it would take to buy a used iseries from the major used iseries vendors on the internet and acquire the RPG development software environment for it. It was even worse trying to figure out from IBM what a 515 would cost. Good luck to you. I gave up. (I ended up getting a hosted iseries account, which is fine for limited development.) rd

Comment

I talked about my project with a few people during last week-end. Everybody recommended to go with the timeshare option (Some also recommended to go on another, less expensive and less ugly UI platform...) Any advice, suggestion or comment will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I have to agree with you: IBM really seems to do everything they can to make this overcomplicated. In fact, if I had a business with a sector I wanted to get rid of smoothly, I could not do better: - Change the name of the machine every now and then (hey! let's call cheez-whiz... hmmm... cheez-i) - Make it difficult to gather simple information for anyone interested. - Make every upgrade part overpriced even though it is the same as those sold for 1/10th (mess with the microcode to prevent 'unauthorized use'). Maybe a change of platform isn't so stupid, after all. Too bad I really love RPG as a business programming language. What is one to do with all the knowledge gained on the green machine?

Comment

I went through the same process this year. Bought a little 270 for €1000. Without O/S. They are now cheaper than that on EBay (but I wanted 100Gb and 512 RAM). I also got gifted a little 150 Lots of sites are now offering Limited AS400 usage for free. Regards Kit

Comment

How hard was it to get OS software for the boxes? When I did a search of companies offering AS400 development accounts I think I saw one that said it was free but no longer around, or its name changed or something, and two or three others that had a month free trail. The two vendors I dealt with were Rikascom.net and Timeshare400.com. I have no complaint with either one of them. rd

Comment

I have used a timeshare at netshare400.com. They have two different systems depending on what options you need. I paid $40 for 6 months i believe. I was not using it much since I am consulting and connected to clients via VPN. You can FTP the software to/from their system. You are set up with your own libraries. Best Wishes, Steve

Comment

I have an account on Virtual400.com. They're currently on V5R4 and for a reasonable cost provide me with IFS access and Websphere for development. Have fun, Ken

Comment

My 9406-170 2290 V5R3 is for sale: 2GB RAM, 32GB DADS (4 arms) 1200$ CAD Since Vieux is french... Si tu demeure à Montréal, les frais de livraison peuvent être très minimes (pickup accepté) mail-moi si interessé: flic@flicenr.ca

Comment

Hi all, I'd like to develop at home using RPGIV ILE. What can I do to get the best machine at the lowest price? I don't need much power but I'd like to have a recent version of OS/400. Any input welcome. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X