Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University

    ** This thread discusses the article: Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University **
    Bill, I think you're confusing monopoly with regulation. SCE is a monopoly regulated or not. The fact that they can charge whatever they want, justified or not, doesn't change the fact that they're a monopoly. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Bill" wrote in message news:336A05192BFF78E104EDE9367444A8F5@in.WebX.Wawy ahGHajS... > Chuck Ackerman wrote: > > Since the deregulation of the electrical companies, electrical prices > > have skyrocketed. (Did you miss that one? It was in all the papers.) > > There have been a number of featured L.A. Times articles showing that > > businesses have had to close their doors because of skyrocketing > > prices. This affected all electrical companies in California > > including SCE, PG&E, etc., save one. > > But this directly flys in the face of your statement that SCE is a monopoly > and because of it's monopoly status it forced businesses to close. But now > you say that it was the deregulation of this monopoly that caused the price > increase. When SCE was a monopoly, energy was "affordable", but when it > was deregulated the prices jumped. > > > DWP, however, did not deregulate. Those within the city limits of > > L.A. are fortunate since their electrical bills have not increased. > > In fact, DWP makes enough profit selling electricity to other > > electric companies that they could go without charging their > > customers and still make a profit. > > > > Just goes to show that deregulation of everything is not good. > > So, now you are saying that some monopolies are preferred - which I agree > with. > > Bill > >

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University

    ** This thread discusses the article: Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University **
    Chuck Ackerman wrote: > Since the deregulation of the electrical companies, electrical prices > have skyrocketed. (Did you miss that one? It was in all the papers.) > There have been a number of featured L.A. Times articles showing that > businesses have had to close their doors because of skyrocketing > prices. This affected all electrical companies in California > including SCE, PG&E, etc., save one. But this directly flys in the face of your statement that SCE is a monopoly and because of it's monopoly status it forced businesses to close. But now you say that it was the deregulation of this monopoly that caused the price increase. When SCE was a monopoly, energy was "affordable", but when it was deregulated the prices jumped. > DWP, however, did not deregulate. Those within the city limits of > L.A. are fortunate since their electrical bills have not increased. > In fact, DWP makes enough profit selling electricity to other > electric companies that they could go without charging their > customers and still make a profit. > > Just goes to show that deregulation of everything is not good. So, now you are saying that some monopolies are preferred - which I agree with. Bill

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University

    ** This thread discusses the article: Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University **
    Bill, Since the deregulation of the electrical companies, electrical prices have skyrocketed. (Did you miss that one? It was in all the papers.) There have been a number of featured L.A. Times articles showing that businesses have had to close their doors because of skyrocketing prices. This affected all electrical companies in California including SCE, PG&E, etc., save one. DWP, however, did not deregulate. Those within the city limits of L.A. are fortunate since their electrical bills have not increased. In fact, DWP makes enough profit selling electricity to other electric companies that they could go without charging their customers and still make a profit. Just goes to show that deregulation of everything is not good. BTW, SCE is not one of the finer companies around. They have a habit of overcharging people, especially the elderly. When you call them they immediately reduce your bill. I know, my mother was scammed by them, overcharged by $500 per month for 3 months. AFAIK, Microsoft hasn't pulled off this scam. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Bill" wrote in message news:59242C309EC3D0E2D5B5E88FA48C77F7@in.WebX.Wawy ahGHajS... > Chuck Ackerman wrote: > > Bill, > > > > Apparently you haven't seen the cost of electricity in California. > > It has been the demise of many businesses lately. > > Chuck, > > I also live in Southern California. For you to intimate that either SCE or > DWP have forced businesses out through their influence as a monopoly is > astounding. > >

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University

    ** This thread discusses the article: Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University **
    Chuck Ackerman wrote: > Bill, > > Apparently you haven't seen the cost of electricity in California. > It has been the demise of many businesses lately. Chuck, I also live in Southern California. For you to intimate that either SCE or DWP have forced businesses out through their influence as a monopoly is astounding.

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University

    ** This thread discusses the article: Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University **
    Bill, Apparently you haven't seen the cost of electricity in California. It has been the demise of many businesses lately. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Bill" wrote in message news:3E06B9F59C64114835C981D94A597B96@in.WebX.Wawy ahGHajS... > Chuck Ackerman wrote: > > It appars that hstoddard hasn't seen my electrical company, or my > > cable company, or OPEC, or Intel, or the RIAA, or... > > HStoddards point was that Microsoft has forced businesses out of business. > Of those you mentioned, who could they force out of business? > > The only company on scale with Microsoft is WalMart. > > Bill > >

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University

    ** This thread discusses the article: Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University **
    Chuck Ackerman wrote: > It appars that hstoddard hasn't seen my electrical company, or my > cable company, or OPEC, or Intel, or the RIAA, or... HStoddards point was that Microsoft has forced businesses out of business. Of those you mentioned, who could they force out of business? The only company on scale with Microsoft is WalMart. Bill

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University

    ** This thread discusses the article: Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University **
    hstoddard said: "Microsoft has ... developed an industrial stranglehold on a scale never seen before." It appars that hstoddard hasn't seen my electrical company, or my cable company, or OPEC, or Intel, or the RIAA, or... chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University

    ** This thread discusses the article: Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University **
    I felt that Microsoft's control over everything was pretty well demonstrated when the government's anti-trust suit was settled by Microsoft being "forced" to sell to the public -- at top dollar -- yet another operating system. Microsoft has been forcing competitors out of business one way or another for close to 20 years and has developed an industrial stranglehold on a scale never seen before. Why would anyone trust them?

    Leave a comment:


  • Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University

    ** This thread discusses the article: Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Microsoft Computing: An Interview with Dr. Jeff Putnam of Eastern Washington University **
    0
Working...
X