Screen Capture Software for Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen Capture Software for Windows

** This thread discusses the article: Screen Capture Software for Windows **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Screen Capture Software for Windows **

I've been using SNAGIT for years. Although it does cost, it does everything and more as described in your article. Find it on www.techsmith.com

Comment

I use Paint Shop Pro to touch up all of my digital pictures. And you know what? It has a very good screen capture utility built right into the product. No need to learn anything new. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "MC WebMaster" wrote in message news:6ae57c73.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | This is a discussion about Screen Capture Software for Windows. | | Click here for the article <http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc?1@23...T.17@.6ae55a7b>.

Comment

I agree with Chuck - Paint Shop Pro is an excellent tool for basic image handling, with a very good screen capture built in. It captures everything from full screen to a window to an "object" to a user-defined area, with multiple captures and the ability to include the cursor. Not only that, you can save your captures in just about every format imaginable. I use TIFs a lot for book images, and PSP is just as comfortable with that format as with JPEG, BMP, or some of the more obscure formats. Joe

Comment

I have tried several different screen captures for capturing AS/400 and iSeries screen shots. The problem with all of them is that they capture a true image (big black screen with text in green, white blue etc.). Printing a manual with a lot of screen shots uses a lot of toner (or black ink) I am looking for a screen capture that captures the text as black and the screen as white (similar to using text cut and paste) Using cut and paste is a pain with changes, having to put a borde around it etc.

Comment

Hi Rav, I've done this a coupla different ways. One way is to change the colors on your 5250 session to look better when printed (using light backgrounds and dark text). Then when you capture it, it'll automatically look good. The other way, if you've already got screen with black backgrounds, is to do an "invert colors" in your favorite image editor. You might also see it under your photo negative processing options. That'll flip things and they should print better. Both of those options leave the screens captured as bitmaps, however. HTH, Brian

Comment

Rav, Another technique is to use the Host Emulation COPY Function in the Host Emulator program. It's accessed by selecting Edit/Copy from Client Access Express, for example. The trick to making the screen shot look good when you Paste it into a Word document is to set the font to Courier New. This is a TrueType font that will preserve the proportionate spacing. I like this method better than creating bitmaps, since it prints faster with black text on the white background. Sometimes I highlight screen titles or other things for emphasis by using the usual Word text attributes. And, you can make it into an HTML page by using the
              ("preformatted text") paired tags. HTH_2 Rich

Comment

Are the 5250 screen attributes "copied" when using the Host Emulation COPY function from CAE? I.e., underlined fields, bold, reverse-image? I noticed that you sometimes manually highlight titles in Word, but didn't know if that was strictly because the attributes didn't carry over or whether you were adding NEW emphasis. FYI, re: the Courier New font. I have found in our shop that the Lucida Console font is much closer in appearance to the font in CA's emulation. Personal taste thing. Also, I tried the MWSnap that Brian mentioned in the article. Good find! I was pleasantly surprised to see that the .PNG format saved a screen shot using only 7kb. So, even if I have 20 screen shots in a document, I don't think 140kb dedicated to picture objects is a big deal. Of course, my vantage point is a Pentium 1.4Ghz, 512MB ram, 20GB drive, so YMMV. Printing speed did not seem to be adversly affected but, again, the networked HP laser jet may be a factor. HTH, Dan

Comment

Dan, You asked if the Client Access Express COPY function copies screen attribute bytes. According to the help documentation (and experience): "Note 2 : Copy does NOT duplicate host attributes such as color and intensity." I will probably soon play around with the HTML BGCOLOR and COLOR attributes to make the black-and-white text screen capture look almost like the "real thing". Of course, to most people, Windows IS the real thing! However, to me that is not a drawback; the 5250 attribute bytes would have no meaning to Word! Each Windows environment has its own way of implementing special presentation attributes. I wonder if IBM will someday replace the 5250 protocol with a GUI enabled format? Seems like just about everyone has a PC on his desk now. Thanks for the info about the Lucinda font: I will try it today. And, I guess I might try out MWSnap ("Microsoft Word"?) tool soon as well. Rich

Comment

I have changed my color scheme (in Client Access Express) to use a white background and black letters. I find it to be easier on my eyes, as well as better for screen capture purposes.

Comment

MWSnap ("Microsoft Word"?)
                      No, there is no explicit connection to Word. The MW is the author's initials.
                      5250 attribute bytes would have no meaning to Word!
                      I am close, real close, to completing a utility that does a screen copy via the attention key (use SETATNPGM) and copies the display attributes, outputs the screen to an .RTF file which can be directly inserted into a Word document. This works well and has a small footprint since it is not a graphic. But I have some spacing issues that have been giving me fits. Still, I look at a screen capture to a .PNG format and it is all of 7kb and Word (amazingly?) doesn't bloat it any larger when it is inserted into a document. I dunno, but I'm finding it hard to be squeamish about 7kb per screen in an era of 20Gb drives. I know there are speed issues as well, but I've got a lot of horses on my desk and at the server. - Dan

Comment

Lucinda font
                        Just to be clear, it is the Lucida Console font. I have several Lucida fonts on my system and all of them, except for Lucida Console, are proportionately spaced. Also, I wonder if there's anyone out there who has ever thought through more than I have (which isn't much) about how to represent screen shots in printed documentation. We have a color laser here, and I have seen some docs around here that have screen shots in their glorious original color, namely a big black box on an otherwise white page, with green and white and blue text in it. It does NOT look good. Also, I don't like to rely on the assumption that there will always be a color printer to print documentation on. (Hopefully someday soon we will be able to make that assumption.) So, I design my documentation for printing on a b&w laser. My inclination is to use a CA session where the background is white and everything else is black. The HI attribute I assign the darkest black, the normal attribute I assign the next darkest black. The other attributes I haven't really decided on. Reverse Image shows up pretty good. My thinking is that, when viewing documentation, color representation isn't as important as it is on a live display. But underlines and reverse images are important. Reverse Image shows up pretty good in the examples I've tried. Everyone's .02 are welcome. - Dan

Comment

Dan, Thanks for the clarification about the Lucida Console font. I tried it and it comes out beautifully; although in my particular setup I had to change the left/right margin sizes from 1.25 to 1.00 inches to keep it from wrapping. It is intriguing about your screen capture utility; if this is a to-sell item; I would be interested; if you are including source especially. When I was working for a software company with many clients, one of them wanted to be able to initiate the "PrintScreen" action from within a program; they wanted to be able to see what the users were doing, or something. But we never could figure out how to do it, or even if it was possible. Probably not from RPG; from MI, maybe. But your screen capture utility might do the trick. Of course, that requirement is long past for me now, but it is still interesting. My thoughts about how to print screens in documentation is: I agree with you; I don't care about seeing color, or (especially) a lot of black space! I have only worked with one software set (not particularly good) that used color to provide semantic meaning within applications. The reverse image and underline attribs are always more significant; it seems like most software (not IBM) seems to use the underline attrib to indicate an input-capable field. .. Rich

Comment

Rich, My screen capture utility is not yet ready for prime-time. At this point, I'm not sure what I want to do with it once it's done, as far as selling or not, sharing code or not. I should point out that the problems I am having is not the capture of the screen itself (that's been done in an iSeriesNetwork article quite a ways back, and I use that as the starting point for my program), but translating it into RTF and adding some essential features, like adding a border in the RTF so you don't have to do it in Word, are the real trouble spots. Like I said before, it's close, but... As far as capturing users' screen shots in sequence, IBM provides STRCPYSCN, which is, um, "rudimentary" in its capture-to-file mode; in its raw form, it certainly wouldn't be acceptable for documentation purposes. Also, if you want to use STRCPYSCN interactively, where your screen shows what the user's screen shows, you are somewhat limited in that you will always be one screen "behind" what the user sees. IIRC, a gentleman by the name of Al York published a utility in MC a while back that did STRCPYSCN one better by keeping both screens in sync. Oh, wait, you were trying to initiate PrintScreen from within the program? Hmmm, then, yeah, you'd probably be looking at the program I'm developing, or at least, the program that iSeriesNetwork published. - Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X