Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Computing: Visual Studio--the .NET Interactive Development Environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Computing: Visual Studio--the .NET Interactive Development Environment

** This thread discusses the article: Microsoft Computing: Visual Studio--the .NET Interactive Development Environment **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Microsoft Computing: Visual Studio--the .NET Interactive Development Environment **

Microsoft Computing: Visual Studio--the .NET Interactive Development Environment

** This thread discusses the article: Microsoft Computing: Visual Studio--the .NET Interactive Development Environment **
    I've purchased, installed and used every release of MS Visual Studio since Visual C and then Visual C++ were stand-alone product. I upgraded from Visual Studio 6.0 to the .Net version a few months back and I have to say this is the worst version ever. You can no longer figure out how to do things that were 2nd nature from 6.0 and some features have been removed. While I like the editor component and the code-completion capabilities, these things were all there in 6.0 and easier to use. I have been referring to Visual Studio .NET as the WDSc of Microsoft... too big, too fat, too bloated to be used by an average "joe programmer".

Comment

Bob, I have 8 C# / ASP programmers on my staff and they see things just the opposite of you. They find that they're considerably more productive in .NET. I don't use .NET myself so I can't chime in with an opinion of my own. BTW, as an aside, I sent 3 RPG programmers to the RPG World sessions in Garden Grove last week and they came back excited about what they learned from you, Jon and Susan. Chuck Ackerman Lamps Plus Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Bob Cozzi" wrote in message news:6ae8710e.0@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > I've purchased, installed and used every release of MS Visual Studio since Visual C and then Visual C++ were stand-alone product. > > I upgraded from Visual Studio 6.0 to the .Net version a few months back and I have to say this is the worst version ever. You can no longer figure out how to do things that were 2nd nature from 6.0 and some features have been removed. > > While I like the editor component and the code-completion capabilities, these things were all there in 6.0 and easier to use. > > I have been referring to Visual Studio .NET as the WDSc of Microsoft... too big, too fat, too bloated to be used by an average "joe programmer".

Comment

Visual studio .Net is a very different product than anything Microsoft put out before. It is one of the best products out there and its no WDSC. .Net XML webservices alone make the product worthwhile. I use .Net extensively and it could not be simpler and I am a hard core AS/400 professional with 10+ years of RPG developemnt experience. Its one the easiest product to use with AS/400. You can install and connect to AS/400 backend and put out a web app all in matter of hours. Its fully compatible with the users beloved "Microsoft office" products. Dont get me wrong I am no Microsoft fan but this time they out did themsleves as well as everyone else.. Visual Studio .Net does not care what release of OS you are running on the AS/400, there is no need for PTF's and messy apache servers configuations, no need for seperate websphere severs or products on the AS/400. Acutally all you need is SQl kit and client access on the AS/400 and you are good to go. .Net allows you to call your existing RPG programs as well as full blown SQL interface. The user interface is unbeatable and clean, no cluncky Java stuff. There are a million companies developing components for it. By the way comparing Visual basic 6 to Visual studio .Net is like compairng apples to oranges. Visual studio is a completly different product. It borrows some of Visual basic but make no mistake about it its no visual basic in term of the funtionality. Even IBM supports it with managed providers and native record level access to AS/400 through their new releases of client Aceess. I firmly believe that .Net will change landscape of programming as it is today. t_malik@bellsouth.net

Comment

Working...
        X