Microsoft Computing: Accessing iSeries Data with ODBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Computing: Accessing iSeries Data with ODBC

** This thread discusses the article: Microsoft Computing: Accessing iSeries Data with ODBC **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Microsoft Computing: Accessing iSeries Data with ODBC **

** This thread discusses the article: Microsoft Computing: Accessing iSeries Data with ODBC **
    I have never found a satisfactory explanation in plain english about the difference among the file, system, and user dsn. Could anyone explain when to use one vs. another using practical examples? I have no trouble creating them, I just don't really know which is the correct one in a given situation. Often I simply use DSNless connections. While that would be suitable for web data access, it would not be useful in a situation similar to the one used in the article. Thanks in advance.

Comment

> I have never found a satisfactory explanation in plain english about > the difference among the file, system, and user dsn. Could anyone > explain when to use one vs. another using practical examples? I have > no trouble creating them, I just don't really know which is the > correct one in a given situation. Here's one explanation from Microsoft in article 213772 : ------------------------------------------------------------------ User DSN The User DSN is a data source that is user-specific. A User DSN is stored locally but is available only to the user who creates it. User DSNs are not used by Microsoft Query. If you use Microsoft Jet, ODBC, or Structured Query Language (SQL) commands and bypass Microsoft Query, User DSNs are required. User DSNs are stored in the Windows registry under the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareOdbcOdbc.iniOdbc Data sources System DSN Unlike a User DSN, a System DSN is not user-specific. A System DSN is stored locally and is not dedicated to a particular user. Any user who logs on to a computer that has permission to access the data source can use a System DSN. Some programs, such as Microsoft SQL Server or Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS), require a System DSN. This DSN must be created on the server where the program is located. System DSNs are stored in the Windows registry under the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareOdbcOdbc.iniOdbc Data sources File DSN The File DSN is created locally and can be shared with other users. The File DSN is file-based, which means that the .dsn file contains all the information required to connect to the data source. Note that you must install the ODBC driver locally to use a File DSN. Microsoft Query uses File DSNs, but Microsoft Jet and ODBC do not use File DSNs. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- So, one big difference is the visibility to MS Query, visibility to Jet, visibility to a user. Bill

Comment

Is it possible to create some kind of DSN or something with the same functionality on a network drive for multiple users? Right now I use ADO but I'm just following examples and don't really know what the difference in function is.

Comment

Bill Goodland wrote: > Is it possible to create some kind of DSN or something with the same > functionality on a network drive for multiple users? Right now I use > ADO but I'm just following examples and don't really know what the > difference in function is. I would imagine that it's possible, but I've never tried it. Seems to me it would be more trouble than it's worth, unless we are talking about an extraordinary number of users. I believe the only way you could do it would be to make it a File DSN, since the other two reside in the registry. Bill

Comment

I have created a DSN with a connection type that allows all SQL statements. I can successfully import or link a table into MS Access, but I cannot update the table when it's linked, nor can I export a file to the iSeries from MS Access. I have full authority to the library and files on the iSeries I'm trying to update. I get this message when I have linked a table: ODBC - insert on a linked table "libname.filename" failed. I get this message when I try to export a table: SQL7008 - "file" in "library" not valid for operation Does anyone know why I get these messages, and what to do about them? Thanks in advance. Jörgen

Comment

You need to get to the second level text as there's a reason code with more information. WRKOBJLCK library/file *file to find the QZDASOINIT job when you make the connection, then look in the job log as its running. The most likely cause is using the defaults for the connection that expect commitment control and not journaling the file. Trevor

Comment

You gave me some very interesting and useful information on my problem. I have now managed to fix the issue with updating a linked table from MS Access. Thank you very much! Jörgen

Comment

Working...
                X