Integrate Excel with Your Databases for Easy User Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integrate Excel with Your Databases for Easy User Access

** This thread discusses the article: Integrate Excel with Your Databases for Easy User Access **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Integrate Excel with Your Databases for Easy User Access0

Re:Integrate Excel with Your Databases for Easy User Access

** This thread discusses the article: Integrate Excel with Your Databases for Easy User Access **
    Elwin -- Excel 2003 has a limit of a bit over 65,000 rows per sheet. I've upgraded to Excel 2007 and it has a limitation of 1,000,000 rows. If your users want more than that, then they probably need to narrow down there request a bit to by month, date, dept, etc. If they want more than a million rows, they probably should consider another product.

Comment

Re:Integrate Excel with Your Databases for Easy User Access

Elwin et al., Using Microsoft software of any sort is a good way to infect your systems with viruses and worms. What is the users' real 'end goal' for downloading DB2 data into Excel - fraud, manipulating the numbers so as to lie to shareholders? Or graphing? System i and other DB2 platforms have excellent and standard SQL tools for querying and summarizing data via associated categorization data items. There are few rationales for actually extracting data down to a PC, eg, sample auditing, and, graphing a data set. Another possible rationale is displaying a winnowed data set on a Web site, but that could involve setting up -and securing- a MySQL db and using secured PHP or perl scripts to build HTML (or, better, XHTML/CSS) pages. MySQL that is hosted on a _Linux_ server running Apache 2.0, so that nobody could break in to place viruses and alter data etc. See this MC story: http://www.mcpressonline.com/april-1...nd-server.html Excerpt: Zend Releases Community Edition of Zend Server Print E-mail Programming - Web Languages Written by Chris Smith Thursday, 09 April 2009 "The next-generation PHP stack for Windows and Linux gives IBM i developers a way to run new applications easily in-house or on a laptop without charge. For anyone who has yet to get started developing in PHP, Zend Technologies made it easy to get your feet wet in this increasingly popular language when it released Zend Server Community Edition this week, a free and easy-to-deploy stack of PHP tools intended to give users a way to manage their newly minted PHP applications running in-house. While IBM is bundling Zend Core for IBM i now with all new i servers being shipped, Zend Server Community Edition runs on Linux and Windows as well as Max OS X. While we like to tell readers about free software that is available to them for trial, we should point out that Zend Server Community Edition is a companion release to the new Zend Server regular edition that Zend Technologies released at the same time, which is sold on subscription. Also for running PHP applications on Windows and various flavors of Linux (but not OS X), Zend Server comes with support and has a number of monitoring and diagnostic tools (as well as page caching) that Zend Server CE does not include." 'Excel' - Ptah!

Comment

Working...
      X