Conversion from Office vision to MS Word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion from Office vision to MS Word

http://www.midrangeserver.com/mpo/mp...2-story01.html Try this link!

You can easily convert OV/400 documents to MS word, simply by accessing them in MS word through a mapped drive, or the Network Neighborhood. As long as the document is not in final form, MS Word should automatically bring in the OV/400 document as a Rich Text Format file. You can then save the file in MS Word format. Dave

Comment

Willy, We are in the process of doing this also. I'm afraid it may not be quite as simple as these two replies so far mention. It depends on how deeply and sophisticated you use Office Vision. A very rough outline of considerations; 1) Are you using calendar items? 2) Are you using e-mail through office vision? 3) How sophisticated are your documents? (i.e. Are you using merge fields where data is dynamic? etc.) 4) How many of the 100 or so office commands are you using. For help, there is an online IBM Redbook that I have found which you can find through a google search on "SG24-5406-00" and "Office Vision" or try this link... http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/pubs/pdf...s/sg245406.pdf Hope this helps, and hope that your conversion is as simple as they say. Mine isn't! Argh! Jeff

Comment

We also made the move away from Office Vision. Thank you Microsoft for the rft converter--which converted thousands of documents in a batch process. Also, thank you IBM for the runrmtcmd--which now fires MSWORD from the iSeries within a CL program. Our biggest hurdle to overcome was converting documents from DTM400 to MSWORD format. ARGH!!!!

Comment

We have made the jump. Our documents were very complex with loads of embedded fields and queries. We even had some OV options that weren't documented anywhere. (fields embedded in included headers) One of our sites is currently testing with a subset of users in production. it wasn't easy. Trevor

Comment

Diane, I'm curious about the specifics of this technique? What are the differences between using RUNRMTCMD and STRPCCMD? Specifically, we would like to launch Adobe Reader for our users who access our system remotely through the web by a 5250 session. Currently we have a product called Reflections for the Web. However, they say they cannot launch an application on the PC from a web session. Maybe RUNRMTCMD can help? Thanks for any advice! (This could make a good tech tip Diane) hint hint! Jeff

Comment

Hi, Anybody has done that kind of conversion ?? We went to OS/400 version 5.2 which did not support Office anymore Thanks in advance

Comment

I'd appreciate any help you can give me on how long it took to convert your documents over to Word (we have several thousand Office Vision docs that need converting)? Also could you please post how you used the runrmtcmd to start Word from inside a CL pgm? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. If you'd like to contact me via e-mail on this subject you can do so at wbaggett@thelink.net

Comment

Working...
                X