X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Word Mail Merge Error

Do you have any trouble using ODBC in any other instance? Dave

Microsoft Word Mail Merge Error

Not to my knowledge. We pass information to and from UPS's Worldship program using ODBC and don't seem to have a problem. I only get this message by using the steps in MC Press's Office 2000 integration book in which the "open data source" selection of the data source option is used. I looking at other topics in the Microsoft Forum I saw a link to a "Midrange Server" article and tried that method. That method instructed the use of the "new data source" selection. It looks as though the file information is pulled into the "Mail Merge Helper" but will not allow selection of merge fields. Jerry

Comment

Have you resolved your problem? I have the same problem and don't know where else to go.

Comment

I found out from IBM that this is a Microsoft bug, but IBM has come up with a way to circumvent this error: You need to disable the Extended Dynamic support on the Data Source(DSN). It's under Package in your DSN configuration.

Comment

Try playing with the ODBC config using both File and System DSNs. Try using SQL instead of native naming conventions. Also check file security on the server. Dave

Comment

In trying to insert information from the AS/400 to a Word document through Mail Merge; I opened the ODBC data source name, selected MS Query, selected the file, selected * for all fields, selected "Return to Microsoft Word" option, and received the error message "Word was unable to open the data source". Don't know where to go from here. Can anyone help?

Comment

Another solution is place an MS Access database between MS Word Mail Merge and AS/400 data. Create an Access database with Tables linked to AS/400 via ODBC. Create queries to pull data together; much easier that trying to do this in MS Word. Use Access database as source for Mail Merge. This has been MS problem for quite some time.

Comment

Working...
              X