Iseries Access problem connecting to older machines via odbc only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iseries Access problem connecting to older machines via odbc only

The older machines are using a different version of client access. You must configure a different ODBC driver for the V3R7 box. Dave

Thanks for the reply David I have tried loading the 2 ODBC drivers(ie.7.0 and 10.0) but ver 10.0 just updated the old driver...Is there any way that I can have two odbc drivers for client access loaded at the same time? Regards Willem

Comment

Yes. I have noticed when going to a new piece of AS/400 hardware, the new version of iseries-access overlays theold on the PC, but keeps the old ODBC driver. If you give the new driver a different name while configuring, this should do it. Dave

Comment

Thanks for the reply... I have loaded iseries access again but it only wants to upgrade my current version or do a full new install which will in turn un-install my current odbc driver.There was no option to rename the new odbc driver.

Comment

You don't rename the driver file. When you configure the driver, you assign a name to the File DSN, and the Machine DSN. This name can be anything. We went from V4R5 to V5R2. At V4R5 I configured a Machine DSN as "Dave's CA Driver". After installing the V5R2 upgrade, I noticed that there was another driver to be configured. Not Client Access, but now Iseries Access. The upgrade had added a new improved driver, and had not uninstalled the old. I see no reason why this would be different in your case. Dave

Comment

Hi David thanks for you time I have just re-installed iseries access v5r3.The following happened... It updated my existing client access odbc driver with:ver 10.0.0.0 date 23/01/2004 file cwbodbc.dll. When I tried connecting with my previously working delphi app or with excell to the old as400 ,I get a key violation. It does now have an extra Iseries access odbc driver but the driver details is the same as my updated client access odbc driver. It does keep my old defined drivers that I had setup eralier but it updated their driver in the background... I seem to be missing something here...

Comment

It appears that you are trying to access an older AS400 with a driver that client access does not recognize. You may have to contact IBM support to resolve the key issue. Dave

Comment

Have you tried to install an other odbc driver (not client acccess) who assumes the compatibility with OS/400 v3r7 ? Perhaps that is the solution of your problem

Comment

When installing V5R2 and V5R3 iSeries Access, two ODBC drivers are registered (Client Access ODBC Driver (32-bit) and iSeries Access ODBC Driver). Both of these registered names point to the exact same ODBC driver. There are not two different ODBC drivers installed. The V5R3 ODBC driver does not work at all to systems earlier than V4R4 and is only supported back to a V5R1 iSeries. The V5R3 ODBC driver returns an error when connecting to a pre-V4R4 iSeries. The V5R2 ODBC driver might work on pre-V4R4 iSeries, but does not support that environment. The ODBC drivers are upwards compatible, so a V5R2 ODBC driver should work with your V5R3 iSeries too.

Comment

Hi We just got a new 520 with v5r3..I loaded the new "Iseries accesss" on my pc.It worked fine to the new machine and all our old machines via 5250... But when I tried using the odbc driver(10.0.0) then I kept on getting key violations with the old machines(v3r7 upwards) odbc did work on the new box though...... Any help?!?

Comment

Maybe something simpler. We noticed when going from 4.3 to 5.1 that ODBC changed the default commitment control option on the Server tab under advanced. Try turning off the option on new ODBC connections (COMMIT = *NONE) and see if it works.

Comment

Working...
                      X