Control Panel Apps Disabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control Panel Apps Disabled

I asked one of our PC gurus, and he said try the "CPL File Association Fix" link at this site: File Association Fixes -dan

Thanks Dan, I should have mentioned that this PC is running Win 98. Dave

Comment

David, If it helps, he says he's sure it's a file association problem, so you might use the XP entries as a guide for the file types to look for, and try to fix them manually. Maybe that'll at least narrow it down for you. -dan

Comment

Thanks, I shall certainly try. Dave

Comment

Maybe you can try to re install the *.CPL file from one of the CAB file from Win98 installer. I've just help my friends shops to recover missing Control Panel icon. You certainly find TweakUI usefull.

Comment

I am trying to recover operations on a PC that had a virus. I managed to get everything up and going, but then discovered that all the applications in the Control Panel had ceased functioning. I think that there are settings in the registry that can cure this, but that's about all I know. Any help and assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Dave

Comment

Thank you. TweakUI is useless in this case, because TweakUI runs from the control panel, and all control panel apps have been rendered inoperative. further info After more research, I discovered that the problem was a particularly nasty virus called the MSUpdate Hijack, or the Cool Web Search worm. A rogue Argentinian file called MSUpdate was placed in my startup and all executables run from it. Removing the file (MSUpdate.exe) will render all executables inoperative. I hope to get a solution from McAfee this week. Dave

Comment

Working...
              X