TechTip: How to Telecommute and Still Be Part of the Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTip: How to Telecommute and Still Be Part of the Team

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: How to Telecommute and Still Be Part of the Team **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: How to Telecommute and Still Be Part of the Team **

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: How to Telecommute and Still Be Part of the Team **
    A successful telecommuter needs to create the illusion of being present in the office. This can be done by following the basic rules of professional communication that apply even if you're in the office. For instance, respond immediately to any emails that are directly addressed to you, especially if they require you to do something. Even a quick response that you got the email is better than nothing. Check your voicemail frequently and call back or email anyone who leaves you a message. If you can't keep checking your voicemail, update your message to indicate an alternate method they can use to contact you, like email, IM, text messaging,etc. If you hear of a big meeting coming up while you're out of the office, make sure you get the conference call number so you can join in. Keep in contact with a fellow employee who is in the office so that you are up-to-speed on issues that are occurring outside of regular communication channels. Basically, whenever possible, be there in all the same ways that you would if you were physically in the office. I once even went so far as to rig up a webcamera and microphone on my office PC so that people could actually walk up and talk to the virtual me. It was a big tourist attraction, but more importantly, it made it clear to the folks in the office that I really was on the other end of the line and accessible.

Comment

One of the ways that a telecommuter can get lost is not being aware of the social activities that occur in the office. Birthdays, anniversaries, even just going for lunch are opportunities to be connected to the coworkers. Tom.

Comment

With introduction of any new concept, there comes abuse which fails the concept. After a while, people get to control it and it comes back. The world of telecommute provides us this wonderful opportunity of "working AT a place of choice and FROM a place of choice". Imagine the future when people will be working for the Silicon Valley and making mega bucks, while living in a ranch in Texas which was bought dirt cheap. Well one of my cousins is already doing it However right now there is a lot of abuse. Women are attending to their babies (I can hear their cute voices when I call their office number which ends up being forwarded to their cell phones), while men are running parellel businesses. The productivity is pathetic. Even those who produce, has social problems e.g. emails sounds very rude although the sender is a polite person. The problem is, the receiver does not know this. He responds with equal rudeness and the working relationship goes down the drain. Ultimately, managers will learn how to control remote workers, and remote workers will realize that what really matters for them is productivity. They will learn to be "tele-socialize".

Comment

Working...
        X