IT Hiring and Salary Trends for 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT Hiring and Salary Trends for 2005

** This thread discusses the article: IT Hiring and Salary Trends for 2005 **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: IT Hiring and Salary Trends for 2005 **

This column is worth a dinosaur's weight of gold in advice. Kudos to Bob Langieri and MidRange Computing for telling it like it is. After being on the market for the last year and a half and watching advertised jobs closely, I am wondering if that programmer analyst / application developer salary for RPG is holding up. It doesn't appear to be to me, because I rarely see those kind of salaries offered anymore for RPG programming. On the other hand, I see the same ads over and over month after month so they may not mean much. My comment on something like RPG being converted to Java, say by some IBM Websphere requirement for the AS/400 in the future, is that after rewriting my large 8086 assembler DOS card game into Java, my thoughts are that Java syntax at the RPG level of programming is not all that complicated or different. In fact, it irritates me that IBM went off on yet another syntax tangent with their Free thing when they should have used the core Java syntax for it. It is total crap to have a bunch of different ways required to do programming fundamentals in variations of RPG and then Java as well. I would say from watching the ads that Java in ads is more or less shorthand for Java J2EE, and that appears to me to be more complex that our traditional subfile and I/O business logic programming. Or at least way different. In any event, I think RPG programs could be written by RPG programmers in an equivalent Java syntax, say using the AS/400 Java Toolbox for I/O opcodes and such, without any problem. Just my opinion. Having said that, almost everything I've seen and talked to about in AS/400 ads is RPG package driven, very specific even down to version, and no matter how specific they get there are several qualified people available. Where the advertised jobs really are is in J2EE however, and of course that's high end Websphere, but I think the IBM midrange programming industry was way more cost effective with RPG and native I/O programs throughout computing history in a way that cannot be matched with ever more complex replacements. Heck, even green screens aren't being beat with newer replacements. rd

Comment

Ralph, The salaries for the Sr P/A are holding up. Our low end is about the high end of Bob's range. In the county where I live (Ventura) unemployment is hovering around 4.5% so right now it's a seller's market. However, that could change as Countrywide Funding is one of the county's biggest employers and their revenue is impacted by interest rates. If interest rates go up they let contract programmers go. They have over 1,000 in their iSeries shop (two model 595s and two model 570s) so it could potentially flood the L.A. area with iSeries programmers. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Ralph Daugherty" wrote in message news:6b243ee7.0@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > This column is worth a dinosaur's weight of gold in advice. Kudos to Bob > Langieri and MidRange Computing for telling it like it is. > > After being on the market for the last year and a half and watching > advertised jobs closely, I am wondering if that programmer analyst / > application developer salary for RPG is holding up. It doesn't appear to > be to me, because I rarely see those kind of salaries offered anymore for > RPG programming. > > On the other hand, I see the same ads over and over month after month so > they may not mean much. > > My comment on something like RPG being converted to Java, say by some IBM > Websphere requirement for the AS/400 in the future, is that after > rewriting my large 8086 assembler DOS card game into Java, my thoughts are > that Java syntax at the RPG level of programming is not all that > complicated or different. > > In fact, it irritates me that IBM went off on yet another syntax tangent > with their Free thing when they should have used the core Java syntax for > it. It is total crap to have a bunch of different ways required to do > programming fundamentals in variations of RPG and then Java as well. > > I would say from watching the ads that Java in ads is more or less > shorthand for Java J2EE, and that appears to me to be more complex that > our traditional subfile and I/O business logic programming. Or at least > way different. In any event, I think RPG programs could be written by RPG > programmers in an equivalent Java syntax, say using the AS/400 Java > Toolbox for I/O opcodes and such, without any problem. Just my opinion. > > Having said that, almost everything I've seen and talked to about in > AS/400 ads is RPG package driven, very specific even down to version, and > no matter how specific they get there are several qualified people > available. > > Where the advertised jobs really are is in J2EE however, and of course > that's high end Websphere, but I think the IBM midrange programming > industry was way more cost effective with RPG and native I/O programs > throughout computing history in a way that cannot be matched with ever > more complex replacements. > > Heck, even green screens aren't being beat with newer replacements. > > rd

Comment

Working...
      X