Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local User Groups: Out of Date or Coming of Age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local User Groups: Out of Date or Coming of Age?

** This thread discusses the article: Local User Groups: Out of Date or Coming of Age? **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Local User Groups: Out of Date or Coming of Age? **

** This thread discusses the article: Local User Groups: Out of Date or Coming of Age? **
    LISUG (Long Island Systems User Group) is trying to move from providing mainly technical education and discussion, to additionally providing its’ primarily technical management membership with information and insight about current business trends and issues. The Agenda 2 Sessions including: Session 1 will begin at 5:00 P.M. and runs until approximately 6:15 P.M. and ends with the beginning of the Networking/Cocktail hour. Session 2 - The Evening Session starts at 6:00PM and includes Cocktails, Dinner, and the regular LISUG Q&A Session. Attendance has improved since the dual session meetings have started

Comment

Joe, one reason for lack of interest (at least in my experience) has been the total reliance of the user groups upon IBM speakers. There is nothing wrong with the speakers that IBM provides, nor are the mini-seminars devoid of content. The problem comes from the topics that so many times are not germaine to the audience of the user groups. It does no good to charge techies fees ranging up to $65. to hear a speaker talk about the benefits of group purchase orders. There are just so many IBM topics to go around. The more interesting topics are not necessarily available. The (very) few times I have addressed user groups, it was well received. Not because of me, but because the subject of the evening was a specific programming technique that may have been useful to the group members. IMO the most important things necessary for good attendance are:
        [*]A Good topic[*]Good food[*]Good organization[*]Free Beer[/list]Dave

Comment

Joe, I attended your session here in Birmingham and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, this was the first time in about 5 years that I have attended a BMUG meeting. Why? Well, there are two reasons - 1) I have always been able to find the answers to my questions on this forum (or other internet sources); and 2) The meetings that are at night do not interest me enough to take away from my family time. Joe

Comment

In the early AS/400 years, LUGs were good place to learn and discuss, now there are many newsgroup and discussion sites on-line.

Comment

I agree that Internet online sites have been most helpful. Webinars, online forums, etc. have been a nice (less expensive in time and money) way to get information out there Still, it is good to occasionally get exposed to new information presented by a live person. Because I live and work in NE Wisconsin, it is not so easy to get to meetings held in the Milwaukee & Madison area. I did get to WMCPA's annual conference this Spring, and it was definitely worth while. Especially if it is hard to find time or funds to get to COMMON, these conferences are a nice alternative.

Fortunately there is also AITP (generic IT professional group) still active in my area, and periodically they offer iSeries related content. That was how I first got interested in WDSc.

Comment

Joe, next time you write an article about me and using my LUG newsletter, please send me the url.... Joe, I suggest you grace COMMON with your presence when it shows up in Minneapolis in March. You're from Chicago, you should be used to the cold by now. I suggest you attend the luncheon on Wednesday which is held for/by the LUG officials and liasons that attend the conference. Had you attended this in Orlando you would have found an almost 100% agreement from LUG officials that their groups are in decline. Yeah, I think the internet is part of it, but I also think there's serious declining interest in the box as the main server of choice for a company. I suggest you talk to some of the other folks like OCEAN, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Delaware Valley(Philly) is another good one, Ft. Dodge(also recently closed), Louisville(talk to Kay Geswein if you want a earful of midwest reality).... You can find them on the www.eserverusergroup.org web page unless they've been removed due to not being in business anymore. Talk with Bob Langieri, Carole Comeau...or perhaps Tony Morelli from Orlando who almost lost his job for fighting to keep an iSeries and is now going to Windows...or perhaps even our past President of WAM, Jack Fugiel, CIO for Winchester Homes...he'll be on Oracle/unix in under 2 years... EVERYONE I talk with will tell you that they think it's the best box out there....BUT... IBM likes to keep telling us that OS/400 is going to be around "for a long time..." Well, so is and will be OS/2. Joe, you willing to bet your kids college fund on OS/2? But you are right on one thing - I still think it's one of the best servers out there, developed and supported by some of the brightest folks you could want...I just wish they could find equally as bright people on the marketing side.

Comment

Actually, I did talk to you about this, Don, but it was a long time ago; maybe you forgot . As to the serious decline, you talk like the box is being replaced by Windows. It ain't gonna happen, because it doesn't make good business sense. The Windows SMB server gig is already past its prime because, just like outsourcing, the early adopters aren't showing any profit. Check in with Tony Morelli three years from now and find out how his Windows implementation is going. My guess is it will fail spectacularly, and that's not the iSeries fault, or even IBM's. It's because Tony's company doesn't have the right people making IT decisions. This happened all through the 90s and up until today; there are people making IT decisions that can't understand anything more complicated than their electric razor. But as CEOs start to realize that IT blunders are costing them money, the IT wannabees are going to be unwelcome. And comparing OS/400 to OS/2 is apples and oranges. Back then, IBM didn't fathom that there even was a PC market. This time around the SMB marketplace is the showdown for all the marbles, and IBM knows it. Anyway, I am still willing to bet my career on the IBM midrange. You're not, and that's your choice. Joe

Comment

You're right, I must have had a senior moment when you mentioned the article. Nah, I've not left the AS/400 arena yet. But, I will diversify. My client base is forcing that issue. Let's revisit this in 3 years. I know what's happened in the last 3 years. I don't think it's gonna change trends. But, maybe the new sheriff in town will make a difference. Talk with you on this again in 3 years... Be there. Aloha.

Comment

Working...
                  X