Seeking: A decent, sincere recruiter or employer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking: A decent, sincere recruiter or employer

steved103 wrote: "Is there an decent, honorable, sincere IT recruiter out there?" I'm not sure there is 1 recruiter that has all those qualities, not to mention just one of them. For your job search I would check out the websites for Monster.com, Flipjob, Careerbuilders, ect. If you are in the Los Angeles area there is a thread about a job in L.A. going on. Another avenue that works is the job help of your local unemployement services.

Glen Kerner wrote: "For your job search I would check out the websites for Monster.com, Flipjob, Careerbuilders, ect. If you are in the Los Angeles area there is a thread about a job in L.A. going on." Just as a point of interest, according to FooCompany.com, Monster is laying off 800 people and the Monster CEO was caught lying on his resume. Not that Monster is going away or anything. Not sure what 800 people do on a jobs site. rd

Comment

Is there an decent, honorable, sincere IT recruiter out there? It has been impossible to get an RPG, AS/400 position. I have been looking locally for a year. So I have decided that I must work out of town. Will any employer or recruiter tell me if it is possible to take a contract in San Diego, Las Vegas, Las Angeles, Phoenix, Tucson, Flagstaff or vicinity? I have 25 years experience in RPG and when working I am a sharp, intense(but calm) programmer that really knows my stuff. But I have gone stale in the past year, so it will take me a week to get back up to speed which I will do at a reduced rate. If you want to help, E-mail me, tell me how to work out of town. ID450503@yahoo.com

Comment

Steve, Like any business or service there are good and bad. There are a few good recruiters out there like myself who will take the time to talk to you sincerely about the reality of this job market or lack of. I have managed in this field for 29 years and think that I have helped enough people over the years, companies and candidates, that there is some reason I survived this long on mostly referrals and repeat business. I am told that I am one of the few recruiters to take the time to actually take the time to talk to job seekers and give them advice even when I can't help them. Work with a recruiter that is committed to and specializes in the AS/400 market in the geographic area you are in or want to relocate to. Interview the recruiters, get references. Understand that we are in a really difficult job market and there are many good people unable to find a job for over 1 year. Understand that I get about 80 e-mails a day. My problem is that I like to take the time to talk to people and try to encourage them. Companies advertising for positions in this market typically get 500 or so resumes for a job. If your resume isn't exactly what they want and in a format that automated tracking software can read, you won't hear back from a company. See my website for resume tips. If you are not a local candidate, you probably will be passed over. I work the Southern California market exclusively. Over my 29 years, I have grown my database from less than 100 System 3 shops to over 4000 Southern California AS400-iSeries installations. No, I don't get every job opening, but the majority of my business is called in to me because of my specializing and my reputation. I wish I could place everyone, but I can't. But I will tell you what I can or can't do for you. I used to write the Career column articles for Midrange Computing so they are one of my references. Another reference is my local user group, OCEAN400.ORG where I served several board positions and President. Ask IBM, Jon Paris, Susan Gantner, Alison Butterill, Linda Grigoleit or Ann Lucas about my committment to the iSeries market. While I don't need another resume, I can always use another friend in our industry. And there are others like me around the country. Visit www.excelsearch.com for more on the market, AS400 salaries and resume tips

Comment

Bob, While I haven't had the chance to hire someone from you or be placed by you we have talked occasionally and I respect and admire your skills and dedication. Having worked with recruiters for the last 28 years I've found very few that spend the energy on getting to know the talent and the companies. Those that do are rewarded. For those looking for employment in the San Fernando Valley and Ventura county I can also vouch for Dan Martin and his company, Piracy. (Funny company name, eh?) Dan has placed me twice and I've hired at least a half a dozen people from him over the years. My current Director of Computer Support came from Dan. But in this area of 12 million people the number of recruiters that I'd trust can be counted on one hand. And it's almost always one that works alone or maybe has a partner. Never have I had faith in recruiting firms with many recruiters. I can tell you stories about this recruiting firm in Westlake Village... Well, er, maybe not. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Bob Langieri" wrote in message news:6ae57dc8.2@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | Steve, | Like any business or service there are good and bad. There are a few good recruiters out there like myself who will take the time to talk to you sincerely about the reality of this job market or lack of. I have managed in this field for 29 years and think that I have helped enough people over the years, companies and candidates, that there is some reason I survived this long on mostly referrals and repeat business. | | I am told that I am one of the few recruiters to take the time to actually take the time to talk to job seekers and give them advice even when I can't help them. Work with a recruiter that is committed to and specializes in the AS/400 market in the geographic area you are in or want to relocate to. Interview the recruiters, get references. | | Understand that we are in a really difficult job market and there are many good people unable to find a job for over 1 year. Understand that I get about 80 e-mails a day. My problem is that I like to take the time to talk to people and try to encourage them. Companies advertising for positions in this market typically get 500 or so resumes for a job. If your resume isn't exactly what they want and in a format that automated tracking software can read, you won't hear back from a company. See my website for resume tips. If you are not a local candidate, you probably will be passed over. | | I work the Southern California market exclusively. Over my 29 years, I have grown my database from less than 100 System 3 shops to over 4000 Southern California AS400-iSeries installations. No, I don't get every job opening, but the majority of my business is called in to me because of my specializing and my reputation. I wish I could place everyone, but I can't. But I will tell you what I can or can't do for you. I used to write the Career column articles for Midrange Computing so they are one of my references. Another reference is my local user group, OCEAN400.ORG where I served several board positions and President. Ask IBM, Jon Paris, Susan Gantner, Alison Butterill, Linda Grigoleit or Ann Lucas about my committment to the iSeries market. While I don't need another resume, I can always use another friend in our industry. And there are others like me around the country. | Visit www.excelsearch.com for more on the market, AS400 salaries and resume tips <http://www.excelsearch.com>

Comment

Working...
          X