AS/400 JBA Project Leader Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS/400 JBA Project Leader Position

$ 90-100K, in Manhatten? That's like, what, $30-40K in almost 90% of anywhere else in the country. "Values hard work. Thrives in a fast paced, high productivity culture. Enthusiastic about providing excellent custom" We all know what this means. Don't bother to have a spouse, cause after we suck you in, you're married to your beeper, PDA, or whatever and US. Oh heck, don't even worry about the beeper, just bring in your cubicle cot, as you'll probably be spending your nights just barely making deadlines, and we might give you the opportunity to catch some Thomas Alva Edison quick naps.

The environment is identical to ours, with similar "projects" (apparently customizations) and participation in 24x7 support. JBA is one of our packages, used for manufacturing. Challenging, I think, is the management speak for the job description. 90$ - $100k it seems to me would not be enough cost differential to pay for living in Manhattan, and with 24x7 support most of us usually want to live nearby. Maybe everything can be handled from home though in the middle of the night. We're usually able to. So the job's in a good place, you can live in the suburbs, and it'll pay for a good life. The first time I've seen relo offered to NY in a long time. And JBA experience is just a plus, not mandatory. One of the better ads I've seen in awhile. rd

Comment

As a NYC boy, born and bred, and now living in the burbs, I can tell you that the cost of living difference is a myth. I have lived in Europe, and in other parts of the U.S., and I am reasonably certain that a loaf of bread in the city costs just as much as a loaf of bread in Kansas. A Chevy or Pontiac in Sheboygan is the same as a Chevy or Pontiac in Brooklyn. The only major difference is the cost of housing. While taxes are higher, they are not that much higher. The difference is negligible. Once you get past that it is far better to be earning more dollars, than less. The 3::1 ratio mentioned will never cut it. Dave

Comment

I am a born and bred NY'er too, and I believe the cost of living is higher there. What in NYC is cheaper than elsewhere? I can give many examples of items that cost me more up there than they do down here in the Dallas area. But I cannot think of anything that is cheaper in NYC. I am referring to everything from a trip to the vet for my dog or cat to airport parking to income taxes. Sure, some entertainment costs about the same as in NYC, but again, nothing in NYC is cheaper than here. At least not that I have found. I am proud of my home town, and I do still consider NYC to be home, but I must admit that there is a very real "price" to be paid to live there. That being said, I am probably going to apply for that job tonight!

Comment

What in NYC is cheaper than elsewhere? Travel cost from your front steps to see a major Broadway show? A short drive to the beach? Seriously, you don't *HAVE* to live in Manhattan (aka NYC) to work there and earn the big bucks. You can live within an hours commute and NOT have a huge mortgage. Cost depends on what you want - live near "THE MIRACLE MILE" or a modest NY area suburbs neighborhood. Long Island, Jersey, Westchester. The other 5 boroughs. There is plus and minus for living in the NYC "AREA" as opposed to elsewhere. We could argue back and forth all week about this.

Comment

Title: Project Leader, Applications Support (Permanent Position) Location: NYC, NY (Manhattan) $90K -$100K p/yr base salary. Health, dental, vision, 401K/retirement, vacation package. Relo package is healthy for right candidate. Profile: Fortune 500 specialty retail company with multiple lines of businesses. Over 10 billion in annual revenue and nearly 5,000 stores. Description: Service the customer properly with technical support expertise in the JBA application. Modules include Financials, Planning and Purchase Order Management. Emerging system currently being used for formulation. Expanded role will be for product tracking and reporting system as well as regulatory affairs information used by two other business areas. Provide added leadership and act as second in command to the senior manager in the business support area for two business (brand) areas. Will improve the overall JBA support services to the business lines by bringing tighter responsiveness to business users. Build stronger technical support initiatives. Lead, manage and execute high-volume, quick turn around projects. In a 3-month period, anywhere from 10 to 15 projects will be underway. Projects will be 3 to 10 day assignments and others 3 months and beyond. Supervise team members, assign work, perform reviews and rate performance of team members with coaching from senior manager. Help existing and new staff excel in their contributions. Work with senior manager in developing training plans for team. Work closely with business partners to develop new systems and modify existing systems. Lead in testing of programs on projects to ensure efficiency and maintenance of standards, including preparation of test plans and fulfillment of expectations. Develop weekly status reports/updates for presentation to senior manager and business partners on steering committee initiatives. Keep management informed on project status and concerns relating to staff. Participate in rotating 24 X 7 on-call support. Assist in interviewing and hiring of qualified staff. Document project phases. Monitor project budgets. Work with senior management to analyze costs for new application software, where necessary and to determine consulting needs when necessary. Offer continuous improvement efforts in technical environment and implement those efforts. Build technical tool kits through classes in new technologies and apply them in the department. Stay abreast of new technology and trends in technology. Serve as a lead liaison between core application, support and business partners. Will be groomed to lead other technical groups, which will lead to opportunities in higher management roles. Reports to Sr Manager over Support Services. 3 direct reports. Qualifications: Proven project design experience (2 yrs preferred). Demonstrated success in programming, design, analysis experience (5 to 7 yrs preferred). AS/400 knowledge and experience required. JBA application experience preferred (some experience/knowledge will be a plus). Led teams in high-volume project assignments. 4-year degree in CIS, IT or other business discipline. Proven work experience may be considered in lieu of education. Exceptional communication/interfacing skills (executive level and business user.) Good negotiation skills. Approachable demeanor, likeable. Strong collaboration and team building/motivational abilities. Able to delegate and assign tasks effectively. Highly organized. Logical thinker. Tactical. Strong planning and vision/forecasting skills. Values hard work. Thrives in a fast paced, high productivity culture. Enthusiastic about providing excellent customer service. Tempered, able to handle politics. Large ego will not play well. Email resume and a brief synopsis of why you think your credentials match this opportunity -- Rob@MagellanSP.com. Only accepting Permanent Resident and US Citizen status candidates.

Comment

This is very true. I am a half-hour's drive from the GW Bridge, and have a full acre. I delight in the fact that during the equinoxs, I get deer migrating across my property. I am host to other wildlife including Skunk, Raccoon, Chipmunk, Rabbit, and Woodchuck. I haven't had a client in the city proper for a few years, but when I do, the transportation system allows me to relax during the commute. NYC can be a great place. Living costs don't have to be high, and at the risk of redudndancy, I would restate that all other costs are the same. Dave

Comment

Working...
              X