Just arrived in Canada and looking for work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just arrived in Canada and looking for work

Welcome to Canada! You can try Workopolis.com. Post your resume and set yourself up for automatic email notification. Good luck, and don't worry, it will get warmer outside very soon. Dave

Thanks David. Just a quick question... I noticed most of the posted senior AS/400 jobs are located in Barrie, Ontario. Any ideas why so? Or just a coincidence?

Comment

I have no idea. As far as the job market goes for Ontario, or even Canada, the place to be is Toronto and surrounding areas. Don't limit your search to Toronto only. A one hour commute in either direction will give you major cities like Burlington, Oakville, Mississauga, Brampton etc, which are to the West and have all the major head offices. To the East Markham, Ajax, Pickering, etc are also major centres. Your best bet is to get a Recruter, I'll see if I can find any names. Wow, strange times when we have to go looking for a recruiter, they stopped calling me a long time ago. Unfortunalty I can't help you here, the 400 is just hanging around until we finish the conversion to PeoplSoft. Dave

Comment

David, Thanks for the advice. Actually I have been scanning for all AS/400 jobs in Canada. Results have been discouraging. Looks like mostly NT and Unix shops are hiring. Whatever happened to all the AS/400s installations in Canada that I have been hearing about?

Comment

It is very discouraging, Ric, but the computer press stories are indicating it is bad for everybody. It was the same in the early 80's and early 90's as well. I was in the Air Force in the early 70's, so don't know about the IT market then but I don't recall a robust economy then either. Looks like some kind of 10 year plan going on... The only way I see AS/400 sales picking up is for IBM to announce they'd love to put the object based features of OS/400 into Linux but it's too advanced for Unix based systems, tick off every Unix and Linux advocate in the world, and start the mother of all arguments about just what constitutes an advanced computer... At least that's the only way anyone would ever hear of an AS/400 and then maybe buy one. Ralph

Comment

Hey, what's up Ric? This page informed me you're in Canada now. Anyway, I saw your concerns and I have some great suggestions to you. Try Dice.com and Monster.Com. These 2 website never missed to send me a job posting in AU, CA and mostly in US. Try this, it'll be a great help... Eric Fernandez

Comment

Hi guys, I finally landed in Canada last week. Nearly got quarantined due to the SARS scare. But am settling down in a quiet neighborhood in Toronto. There does not seem to be any Canada jobs offered in this forum. Anyone got any ideas on where to go to look for jobs?

Comment

Hello Eric, Haven't heard from you for so long now. How are you and where have you been? I have been in Canada for just over a month now. I guess the Iraq war and SARS put a damper on the job market because I have not seen much openings for some time. But several new AS/400 job openings cropped up last week. Hope the trend continues. Dice is useless. All I get are US and Australian job postings. It is very depressing to see several pages of juicy AS/400 positions in the US and none in Canada. Monster is better. But I have not found anything there that I have not already seen in Workopolis. Did you know that in Canada there are government and NGO agencies who provide free internet access and job search tools to anyone looking for a job? They even throw in crash classes for English-speaking. I have been conducting daily internet job searches in one of the offices of COSTI (an NGO) for about two weeks now. No luck so far but the premises provide such a supporting environment, it is very hard to get depressed. Oh yeah, and the free unlimited brewed coffee helped. If you have any more tips, keep em coming! Bye for now.

Comment

Working...
                X