contract vs full time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contract vs full time

David said: "It is also important to point out that over the last four years, rates have dropped precipitously." Yes, that's true for contractors, but not for employees. Pay scales for full time programmers have not dropped anytime in the last 28 years. David said: "The market has gone to hell in a handbasket, and it doesn't matter where you are." Again, for contractors. I am not fond of employing contractors in a "full time" environment. When I started with my current company 3 years ago we had 4 full time contract programmers. Some had been on contract here more than 5 years! Within a year I hired them. It's a whole different feeling toward them from their peers and their feeling toward the company is much better when they're employees. BTW, they all worked for a contracting company and they received raises to come on board. David said: "More bad news: I don't see the market improving on the horizon. In fact I am having trouble seeing the horizon!" It's because of that risk that I never went into independent contracting. There were times over the last decade that I could have probably doubled my salary but the worry over the future was more than I could handle. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

contract vs full time

Dave, Are you currently located in New York City? Thanks, Doug.

Comment

contract vs full time

Chuck, I was only referring to contractors. Not to employees. I apologize if I left any other impression. Dave

Comment

contract vs full time

I was born and raised in NYC, but I currently reside in the 'burbs. I cover what is generally referred to as the "Tri-State Area" encompassing NY, NJ, and CT. In actuality only small portions of each state are in the area, but NYC is a part of it. Many of my clients have been located in NYC. I do not have any current clients there. Dave

Comment

contract vs full time

Steve, Take it from someone who resembles your situation. Those figures work in Louisiana. But, they won't work wherever Chuck is from. Every other employer out there is not Chuck. Since employers like Chuck don't seed new programmers in house and don't raise salaries more than ~3%, and don't drop salaries more than ~3%, you probably can plug your numbers anywhere except California.

Comment

contract vs full time

I am on a contract at 45.00 per hour. What would I have to earn full time with benefits to equal about the 90k per year.

Comment

contract vs full time

I have to disagree with Chris. I was paying $600 a month for a family of 3. When I looked at other insurances Blue Cross was in the range of 575 to 1,000 depending on what I wanted. If you are not on a group plan you have to pay for every little option (i.e E/R coverage, Inpatient, Outpatient Services, Rx, etc). One offer came in at approximately 1,500 per month with a 1,000 deductable. So, the estimate in my opinion is a little low. I would estimate 700 for insurance coverage.

Comment

Working...
                X