AS400 Programmer/Analyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS400 Programmer/Analyst

Only local candidates will be considered I see this in postings a great deal. I'm certainly no expert in the field of recruitment, but I can't help wonder why a posting would be made on an international forum when only local talent need apply? It seems to me, that there would be venues more suitable. Dave

AS400 Programmer/Analyst

David, As a manager myself, I would consider myself less than thorough if, when looking for personnel, I didn't post openings everywhere a potential candidate might see it. There are a lot of us in the L.A. area that participate in these forums and I think the post for a local candidate is appropriate. Nothing wrong with Jimmy Kerr's post from my point of view. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "David Abramowitz" wrote in message news:6ae526f6.0@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | Only local candidates will be considered | | I see this in postings a great deal. | | I'm certainly no expert in the field of recruitment, but I can't help wonder why a posting would be made on an international forum when only local talent need apply? It seems to me, that there would be venues more suitable. | | Dave

Comment

AS400 Programmer/Analyst

Nothing wrong with Jimmy Kerr's post from my point of view. I didn't say that there was anything wrong. I just thought that local advertising would be more appropriate for something that is strictly local. Dave

Comment

AS400 Programmer/Analyst

They're actually saying they will not pay moving expenses, and probably below average on the pay scale. Just my opinion.

Comment

AS400 Programmer/Analyst

They are saying that they will not pay relocation or travel expenses. I'm wondering who wants to go to West L.A. I've lived in L.A. (for 10 years) and I'm glad I escaped. As for pay, my experience is that L.A. companies pay competitive salaries. When I took my first job in L.A. I got a 5 figure raise (was living in Las Vegas at the time). I give credit for looking wherever you can to find what you need. When I was in L.A. recruiters called constantly. I started not responding to them. This way he will get his message out to an individual or individuals that like to keep up on what is happening in the iSeries world. Smart move in my book. Just my humble opinion

Comment

AS400 Programmer/Analyst

They're actually saying they will not pay moving expenses, and probably below average on the pay scale. Just my opinion You are more than likely correct. But why not just say so? Why deliberately limit your selection of candidates with the wording that was used? Dave

Comment

AS400 Programmer/Analyst

The locals know what the pay scale is like. Outsiders don't and will shy away. Since when did you see an "AD" for a programmer that was straight to the point and completely factual?

Comment

AS400 Programmer/Analyst

Point taken!

Comment

AS400 Programmer/Analyst

>> They're actually saying they will not pay moving expenses, and >> probably below average on the pay scale. Just my opinion > > You are more than likely correct. > > But why not just say so? Why deliberately limit your selection of > candidates with the wording that was used? Wow, you guys are sure putting a lot of negative interpretation behind one section of that posting. There could be many reasons why relocation isn't paid for; and to then extrapolate that to a likely wage level is uncalled for. Bill

Comment

AS400 Programmer/Analyst

Wow, you guys are sure putting a lot of negative interpretation behind one section of that posting. There could be many reasons why relocation isn't paid for; and to then extrapolate that to a likely wage level is uncalled for. I think you should read my posts more carefully. I did not say anything negative. I also think you should re-read the original post. I did not state that "reloaction will not be paid", it stated "local candidates only". While one may be interpreted to mean the other, I preferred to look at the post at face value i.e. without interpretation. My only original comments were to question the use of a large audience for a small target. I went on to say that other venues may be more appropriate. Dave

Comment

AS400 Programmer/Analyst

David Abramowitz wrote: > Wow, you guys are sure putting a lot of negative interpretation > behind one section of that posting. There could be many reasons why > relocation isn't paid for; and to then extrapolate that to a likely > wage level is uncalled for. > > I think you should read my posts more carefully. I did not say > anything negative. I also think you should re-read the original post. > I did not state that "reloaction will not be paid", it stated "local > candidates only". You agreed with a negative interpretation: >> They're actually saying they will not pay moving expenses, and probably below >> average on the pay scale. Just my opinion. > You are more than likely correct. Bill

Comment

AS400 Programmer/Analyst

If you want to split hairs, O.K. - - - - I didn't agree, just tended to agree by stating "more than likely". Also, agreeing with a negative interpretation is not the same thing as interpreting negatively. Dave

Comment

AS400 Programmer/Analyst

Just happy to see they are NOT hiring H-1B visa guest workers. I know programmers that have taken jobs in other fields because of the economic downturn. We don't need H-1B visa guest workers, our citizens should come first.

Comment

AS400 Programmer/Analyst

I stated "local only" for a couple of reasons. I have recruited for this company before using a similar service. I had responses from all over the world. I can not ask people from another continent let alone another state come here to be interviewed. The majority of the people that did respond were not eligible for working in the USA, i.e. needed H1 visas etc. I paid to have a candidate travel from another state for an interview including air fare and hotel. He accepted the position at the time of interview, signed and returned his offer of employment and was never heard from again. Another candidate "could not commute" the 40 miles from his home to the office. In fact he declined an interview. I consider someone living within a 40-50 mile radius as "local" clearly this person did not. I do not want 100 resumes from people in San Francisco, Orange County, Nebraska, India, Bangladesh, the EEC, etc that have no intention of relocating at their own expense either. Should I have worded things differently ?

Comment

AS400 Programmer/Analyst

Saying local only is straightfoward. In fact, I have not seen anything but that for quite some time now. Was amazed to see a local company advertising here which offered relocation. Very rare these days. The question was why an internet wide forum for a local only job? The answer might be better reach to AS/400 professionals than say the LA Times. I don't know, but it's a good question. I used to know a really sharp AS/400 dude named Jim Kerr. Saw a post here from a Jim Kerr in Pa. a couple of years ago. I guess there could be a lot of Jim Kerr's in AS/400 land... Anyway, it was a good ad. Somebody will be lucky to get the job. rd

Comment

Working...
                              X