X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GlenKerner
    Guest replied
    I could offer the same or better IT work for a fruction of american worker

As we all know there are pros and cons to everything. What you may consider a con we may consider a pro and vise versa. It really depends on what side of the coin you are on. Most of the threads that have been recently posted on this subject have been people defending outsoucing. It is automatically presumed that most of these posts are from those individuals that are benefiting from outsourcing. So outsourcing is a benefit to them (the pros outway the cons). On my side you have those of us that have lost jobs or been involved when outsourcing has occured and have seen what it has done to the local ecomony, friends, co-working, etc. Some of us have seen the quality or lack of it of the completed project by the outsourced programmers. I'm not saying there are no programmers work for companies in India and elsewhere that are not highly skilled. What I've said is that in my 23 yrs of experience I haven't seen one yet. I have seen individuals work directly for a company that were skilled (from India, China, etc.) but the product from an outsourced company has not met the quality standards of any company I've worked for. This of course is my opinion based on my experience. Other may have had different experiences.

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

I am not representing the foreign workers. Obviously, there are many, as everywhere, poor and excellent talents. It's the manager' responsibilities to investigate whether those people could do the right job for their organization. I am sorry, for my "proper" English. Again, it's only my five cents. If we all think about the pros and cons of outsourcing, not only cons would come.

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

I was working for a company several years back that wanted to outsource work to an Indian company. One day, the manager they had sent was talking to my manager (a Unix guy just hired) about a program. They could not figure out how it worked, as it had no i/o op-codes in the mainline. It was an old program that used the RPG cycle with an Input Primary file. When I explained it to them, the look on their faces was 'huh?'.

Leave a comment:

• David Abramowitz
    replied

You are right in more ways than one Glen. As far as poster boy is concerned, I think that any employer who is considering outsourcing should read these posts several times to consider precisely what their money will be buying. Dave

Leave a comment:

• I could offer the same or better IT work for a fruction of american worker

Actually, you sound more like a "poster boy" for outsourcing and trying to tell American programmers to get out of the business (so you can have more) by getting different skills. I for one like programming and been doing it for 23 years. Why would I stop doing something I love to do just because you want more work to go to your Indian co-workers?
Working...
X