No announcement yet.

Migrating from Query/400? Avoid Unnecessary Costs, Complexity, and Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating from Query/400? Avoid Unnecessary Costs, Complexity, and Confusion

** This thread discusses the article: Migrating from Query/400? Avoid Unnecessary Costs, Complexity, and Confusion **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Migrating from Query/400? Avoid Unnecessary Costs, Complexity, and Confusion0

Re:Migrating from Query/400? Avoid Unnecessary Costs, Complexity, and Confusion

** This thread discusses the article: Migrating from Query/400? Avoid Unnecessary Costs, Complexity, and Confusion **
    For many years now I have been using Crystal Reports for a variety of reporting and output purposes. (see http://www.mcpressonline.com/buyers-...eports-90.html ) It's certainly not the only tool, but it is very easy to use, very robust, and provides a great deal of flexibility. Microsoft also provides "MS Query" free with MS Office. This has the advantage of creating output in Excel, Access, and Word. For a far greater number of years, I have heard vendors (including IBM) often refer to their products as an end-user tool. In my experience, giving most users any product of this nature may tend to be a mistake. In any organization there are power users who can use tools of this type, but these users are almost always a minority. What happens next is that extra resources and budget are then spent on supporting end users who have difficulties with these tools. In some cases it gets worse. The users who have the most difficulty are generally the first ones to complain. Memos may circulate berating the choice of tool (it doesn't matter which tool), and perhaps the competency of the IT department. IMO - Unless you know the capablity of the end user, do the report yourself. Dave

Comment

Working...
    X