Remote Journaling and Data Recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Journaling and Data Recovery

** This thread discusses the article: Remote Journaling and Data Recovery **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Remote Journaling and Data Recovery0

I like the innovative approach Chris has to solving this problem. However, there is a cost involved in doing what he suggests i.e time + effort = expense. At the end of all this what has been gained. I don't have a replica data base that I can use for enquiry and reporting. I haven't increased my on-line window on the primary data base as I am still required to perform my DR back-up on that system. All I really have is an out of date version of my data plus the journal changes. In a recovery scenario I may need to expend many hours trying to roll the data base forward to a point where it can be used. I agree that the traditional HA vendors offer products that are too expensive for most customers. What about new entrants in this arena though e.g. Maximum Availability, whose product have been developed utilising the latest that the iSeries has to offer (remote journaling) that offer near real time replication at an affordable cost. I suggest you check out www.maximumavailability.com before you try and implement a manual solution that will end up costing more in the long run than purchasing an affordable, state of the art replication tool.

Comment

Dave While I agree with your comments I feel that you are missing the point. This is not a replacement for those that need a High Availability Solution such as NoMax, this is just an option for those that have nothing today. They are already having to backup the data on a daily basis from their production machine, if they loose the system they still have to rebuild the data base, they don't have a system big enough to sit around just holding the data in case they loose the initial system. Using the LPAR technology and the Remote Journals they can now have something which is better than they had before. Remember if they only have the backups from the previous day, to recover they have to re-input all that they did since that backup. This is generally more effort than running a couple of APYJRNCHG commands to apply all the journal changes that they have. I have been implementing HA products for many years and understand the issues that many face when asking for funds to cover any of the HA products. Then they have the cost of implementing the products which can run into $,000's. As I always say to anyone who has installed a HA product, the cost doesn't stop there, they still have to keep the configuration updated and ensure they keep the HA product itself uptodate with fixes and changes. No HA product is cheap to buy or install. Yes sometimes it is better to pay for a product which has been developed specifically for this purpose, but if you just cant afford one then what I have described does give you some level of cover. Chris..

Comment

Working...
      X