TechTip: Debugging Multi-Result Set DB2 Stored Procedures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTip: Debugging Multi-Result Set DB2 Stored Procedures

Rather than give your dollars to "The Dark Side" 8-)) perhaps a widely used MySQL database should have been mentioned/used. It's free for the downloading, used by many Java (and RPG) developers.

Hi, I would like some help on how to debug a as/400 db2 stored procedure (with select/update/delete,loop, if statements ...etc..) in a true debugging environment like they do in MS SQL SERVER and visual studio. i.e debug line by line. Is that possible in iseries/as400 db2? how can we do that?

Comment

I've never tried to debug SQL stored procedures in green screen i5/OS, but I understand it can be done relatively easily; you just have to use a SET OPTION command to tell it to show you the SQL source rather than the generated C source code. You can also debug the SQL source for SQL stored procedures using WDSC. It should be noted that there's no support for debugging SQL in Visual Studio Express or Standard editions - you have to buy the rather pricey Visual Studio Professional to get that level of debugging! With i5/OS, we get it for free! Joe

Comment

** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: Debugging Multi-Result Set DB2 Stored Procedures **

Comment

Hi, there is also a debugger under iSeries Navigator Database --> Run an SQL script, that allows you not only to debug SQL sources, but also external stored procedures, UDFs or triggers. The stored procedures, triggers and UDFs must be compiled with Set Option DBGVIEW = *Source Birgitta

Comment

Working...
          X