Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Data Warehouse, Crystal Reports and AS400.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Warehouse, Crystal Reports and AS400.

Hey Gary, As you know, it is possible to import the files into Access, which may be your best bet, depending on the size and what you're trying to do. If your client is going to be exploring the data in a lot of different ways, and the iSeries is already pretty loaded, that would be a good time to consider importing the data. I've used Access 2000 as a local data mining tool with databases well over 1GB/1 million records, and it performs fine on a buff PC (lots of ram and a fast HD setup). If you can import to a local db, users can query all they want without affecting the AS/400 performance. Otherwise, it could have a big impact, depending on your database size and structure and AS/400's capacity. You can automate it with VBA code or a macro. For macros, run the "TransferDatabase" command. For the database type, choose ODBC, then enter the ODBC connection string that points to your database. Mine looks like "ODBC;DSN=BMNA;;", where BMNA is a DSN that I created to point to the AS/400 db. Screenshot of parms attached. I'd skip the V3R2 machine. The SQL engine on it is nowhere near as good as with newer OS/400 versions. HTH, Brian Singleton www.bsing.com

snap057.png

It is not necessary to convert AS/400 data to access the data within Crystal Reports (CR). CR does a fantastic job of extrapolating data from the 400. You can even combine AS/400 data with data from other sources to produce results. AS/400 Data may be obtained either through ODBC, or ADO. The CR wizards make report writing a snap. Report capabilities are far more sophisticated than QRY/400. The exporting facility allows you to deposit your report in more than a dozen formats. More advanced features are also included. Dave

Comment

How to bypass user&password when running crystal reports or do refresh the reports, I mean setting up the parameter for user and password defined on DSN (ODBC) to access the database directly from iSeries. Like using ADO connection in VB6.0. Anyway crystal reports only retrieves info and dont update it. thanks, Sky

Comment

Hello. I never worked with Crystal Reports, but I do understand the concepts and the way it connects to Data Bases. My client wants to build Data Warehouse and use Crystal Reports to report off of the Data. This is where it gets complicated: He wants to Convert AS400 DB files to transfer data to one of the PC based Data Bases(probably to MS Access) automatically. I know how to do this manually, but I have no idea how to convert/transfer/save AS400 File to let’s say MS Access automatically from AS400? Is there any AS400 commands or conversion tool(s) to do so? I know that I can connect Access DB directly to AS400 file(s), but it would be the same thing as connecting Crystal Reports directly to AS400. I do not see any point in doing so. That is why I recommended connecting directly to. They have V4R5 model 820. What is the better way to connect, ODBC or OLE DB and what about system performance? Also as a second option I recommended to use old AS400 that they have and do not use(V3R2) for Data Warehousing but he is not sure If he wants to use it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated Thank you all, Gary Segal

Comment

Thank you All.............. Gary

Comment

Working...
          X