X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Write job log when database error

Have you tried playing with the System Reply list entries? Dave

Write job log when database error

You bring up a good point Dave. I haven't tried using the system reply list yet. I am wondering if it will help because the job is set up for Inquiry Message Reply = *RQD. Writing a duplicate record for some reason does not force an inquiry message for this job. I am assuming that other jobs would halt for the same message. This may be a question for IBM support. Thanks for your help. Scott

Comment

Is this program capturing the error in the program? That would keep the message from stopping the job. The program may be capturing it but doing nothing about it. Scott Mildenberger

Comment

It may be capturing it. I have not gotten that far into the actual program yet. I hope that ends up being the reason for this.

Comment

Let me give more details. This is very strange and twilight zone. We have an RPG program with an SQL statement in it that inserts records into a physical. What happened is the member that the SQL writes to was added accidentally to a logical. Query optimizer used the logical view of the member to write the records. The problem is that the logical was keyed and the database stopped the duplicates from being written. I think the program should have halted with an error message about "Attempt to write duplicate" but it just kept on trucking. This caused problems with our database and we lost orders. So the question of the day is, Why the heck didn't the job halt when it couldn't write the duplicates? The only way I caught this is by turning job logging on full for the daily job and trapping the entire job log. Scott

Comment

Have you tried removing the SQL statement, replacing it with an RPG WRITE statement with error checking? Dave

Comment

Dave, We haven't changed the program yet but it looks like we will have to change something. Do you know if SQL ignores database rule errors as opposed to RPG? I would have to think too that RPG would have blown up with the error. This isn't giving me a warm fuzzy feeling about SQL programming. I think I am going to end up calling IBM. I will let you know what they say. Thanks, Scott

Comment

I have a program that attempted to write a duplicate record against a logical. This problem was not discovered until after job logging was turned on full for this job. My question is, how do I cause jobs to write a job log when database errors such as this occur? Of course I don't want to flood the system with spool files but if the job log had been written last week it would have saved us much time in trying to pinpoint what happened to lost records. In the job log it has posted CPF5009 Diagnostic. I guess that isn't severe enough to cause the job to write the log. Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thank you, Scott

Comment

Scott, were you checking the SQLCOD/SQLSTT after the INSERT? It may be that SQL doesn't use modern error handling, like exception messages. Instead, any errors are signaled via return code. Joe

Comment

Working...
                  X