DFU (UPDDTA) and changing keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFU (UPDDTA) and changing keys

I know this will seem strange, but it has been my experience that if you run a defined dfu (strdfu) that does not allow changes to keys, then subsequent use of UPDDTA will also not allow changes to keys. To correct, create a dfu that will allow key changes, use it, and then subsequent use UPDDTA will allow key changes. I have never looked this up, but I would be curious to know if anyone knows if this is documented anywhere. HTH, Joe

We support a number of users of the same software. When we try to change a key field in a file with DFU it doesn't always allow us to do so. Sometimes the user does not have access to the key field, sometimes they do. Each user is the owner of the file and has update authority. The file is not being held by any process. As far as we can tell the file is not even being used by anything except the DFU. We need to change the field and sometimes can't. Any suggestions? We cannot sign-on to the remote system from our system and the user may not have SQL so we can't use that. Thanks in advance for any help. Jerry

Comment

Joe, I did a little testing and DFU looks like it works like you said. I did a few STRDFUs and changed the 'update key' option back and forth and 'something' got changed. I further found that it depends on your UserID. One ID may be able to change keys, another may not be able to. I couldn't see anything in CHGPF that looked like it applies but that was kind of expected because of the UserID thing. I believe that all files have 'update on' and the STRDFU will tirn it off for a particular ID. Anyway thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
      X