How to Protect all fields in a display file record format at once

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Protect all fields in a display file record format at once

Check IBM Manual http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bi...02102510&CASE= It has explains how to apply PROTECT to record format.

In addition to using PROTECT, that record format will need to specify function keys as well. So, you just WRITE the normal record format and EXFMT the PROTECT record format. Chris

Comment

Thank you very much for prompt responses. I have only one record format, no footer or header or any other record format is associated with this screen. So I cannot use PROTECT & OVERLAY keywords for this screen. May be I can create and EXFMT some sought of dummy screen in that display and protect all the fields in main screen by using PROTECT keyword. My problem is solved but I wanted to know, Is there any other facility to protect all the fields with out using supporting screen (or PROTECT & OVERLAY keyword)?

Comment

In that case, you would need to use DSPATR(PR) on each individual input field and set on the indicator. Chris

Comment

Don't give him anymore information, if he can't look it up on his own, he doesn't need to get it from you or anybody else who might lose their job to his company. You really need to read Joe Pluta's article from MC Press online, Where Have All the IT Jobs Gone? Are visas and outsourcing really the wave of the future, or have they gotten some unfair help from legislators and "consulting" firms? by Joe Pluta Published 11/03 My interest in this incredible brouhaha came about because of a great forums thread I read here at MC Press Online. The thread was based on an interesting article published online at WorldNetDaily. And while I wouldn't necessarily bet my bottom dollar on WorldNetDaily's objectivity, I was intrigued enough to start doing a little digging. I'm not proud to say that my initial opinion of the whole mess was that this was simply an issue of sour grapes, that the protestors were primarily people who had lost out to better, faster, cheaper competition. These were people who hadn't tried to keep up and who were now complaining about something caused by their own lack of foresight. Images of the ant and the grasshopper kept popping into my head. Today, I'm embarrassed by my original naivete, but I'm sure I wasn't alone in feeling the way I did. People like to point to most heavy manufacturing industries--from automobiles to televisions to steel to electronics--and say that IT job displacement is just one more event in an unstoppable geo-economic trend. However, I have come to believe that this particular trend is being artificially supported by legislation that unfairly benefits multinational companies and that this legislation is being promoted by consulting firms whose agendas may conflict with those of American workers. The Issues To start, I need to explain the issues. Remember, I am not a lawyer, and I don't even play one on television. My opinions have been crafted from my own findings on these topics, and I urge you to do your own research. But to give you a little head start, I'll tell you what I found. Outsourcing and visas are completely different concepts. And while I'm not particularly thrilled with either one, the differences are crucial. And while these practices actually affect many industries, I'm going to focus solely on IT, as it is the industry I am most familiar with and the one whose fate you and I both share. Outsourcing First, outsourcing. Outsourcing occurs when a company farms work out to an offshore consulting firm. These days the primary firms are from India--companies like Tata and Wipro generate billions of dollars of revenue this way. Those billions represent money that is not being given to American workers and thus is not going into our economy. Is it any wonder there is so little economic growth in this country? These are not small numbers, and they are destined to grow. China is poised to jump in where India leaves off, and if you thought competing against one entire country's IT population was bad, how about trying to compete with the most populous country on the planet? The projections are staggering. While 400,000 IT jobs are currently outsourced, estimates range as high as 3.3 million IT jobs to be outsourced in the coming years. Are we looking at the end of the American IT industry? But outsourcing is not entirely to blame for this problem, and in many ways it is self-limiting. I'm not sure all of these IT jobs can actually be outsourced. There's only so much cheap labor to be had, and once that pie is divided up, one of two things happens: The labor pool price goes up, or the labor pool quality goes down. I'll address that in a moment. Also, it's pretty hard to actually run a project remotely. I had experience with it in the 90s at System Software Associates. Issues from time zones to language barriers caused repetition of labor. We wasted a lot of time training the offshore programmers on the basics of our business, and the product received wasn't of the same quality as we were capable of creating in-house, so it quickly became apparent that the long-term cost of outsourcing was actually higher than the cost of doing it ourselves. Visas Many of the outsourcing issues are eliminated with the visa programs. The H-1B and L-1 visas are the two that are causing the biggest problems. And while the grassroots movement to roll back the H-1B visa has actually begun to show results, the even more potentially damaging L-1 visa is still largely unrestrained. First, why are visas worse than outsourcing? With outsourcing, the offshore company must at least have their own infrastructure in place: computers, workstations, networks, software, and all that entails. In addition, there are the issues of time zones and lack of face-to-face interaction that limit the level of work that can be done by outsourcing--in essence, only the grunt work can be outsourced. Visas are much worse because they essentially allow foreign workers to replace American workers. All the infrastructure is in place, and as far as training goes, some companies actually require American workers to train their replacements. But why do these programs even exist? The H-1B is a fairly simple program that was created at a time in the 90s when consulting firms such as Gartner and Forrester proclaimed a shortage of American IT workers--a shortage that really never materialized and in fact was largely fictional. However, that didn't stop the consulting firms, and I'll explain why a little later. For now, let's review the situation. Based on this hypothetical worker shortage, Congress created the H-1B program, allowing up to 65,000 foreign workers to be brought in every year to this country to fill jobs--and this is crucial--for which American workers could not be found. This is the crux of the issue: The consulting groups said we were out of workers, so Congress enacted legislation to address that issue, not just in the IT industry, but in many high-skilled, high-paying jobs. And there may have even been a period at the end of the 90s when some workers were needed, but never in the numbers projected. But then the dot-com bubble burst, and the Y2K conversion was completed, so you'd expect that program to end, right? Wrong. Instead, in October of 2000, Congress voted to increase the H-1B allotment--to triple it to 195,000 per year. Even though we were already starting to see layoffs, and the NASDAQ had just lost over 50% of its value, Congress passed these bills overwhelmingly: The vote was 96-1 in the Senate and passed by voice vote in the House. American IT workers were beginning to be laid off in record numbers, yet the industry pundits were encouraging lawmakers to let in hundreds of thousands of cheap replacement workers. The L-1 visa is even more troubling. There are currently 325,000 workers on American soil with L-1 visas, which basically allow multinational firms to transfer foreign workers to fill American positions, without any real caps or quotas. So as the H-1B problem is finally addressed, look for employers to start using the L-1 as a replacement. Isn't It Just Cheap Labor? Cheap labor is like anything else that's cheap: You get what you pay for. But the companies using these services don't see it...yet. I did a lot of searching, and although I found many announcements of large-scale consulting projects being started, I haven't been able to find any case studies where outsourcing saved the money it promised to. I'd love to see some discussion in the forum on this particular issue. Anybody who has information about successful or unsuccessful outsourcing ventures, please feel free to share your experiences! And if you'd rather do so anonymously, please feel free to drop me an email, and I'll post your anecdotes without using your name. As to the dilution of the labor pool, we're already beginning to see that, as recent posts from www.midrange.com can attest. Here's an example:
          Hi All
          I have an RPG application communicates with a Java application. I think for each request from RPG application, a new instance of java application is created. But the requirement is only one instance of java application should serve multiple request (concurrent requests) coming from RPG application...
          Please suggest a way to implement the same.
          Thanks in advance.
          [name withheld] E-Biz EAI Practice Wipro Technologies
          This person is more than likely working on a "Global IT Services" project, since by Wipro's own financial statements, over 75% of their revenue is from this sector. It's even possible that Wipro outbid one or more American firms for this work. And now, here is the developer, asking on an American-based mailing list for instructions on how to implement this project. And this is hardly unique:

Comment

I agree that there are many issues with outsourcing overseas and with visas. But I have 2 points about what you've said. 1. The issue needs to be raised at a national lavel or company level, not directed at an individual. I'll help this person if I can. I'll also continue to send letters to my congressman complaining about offshore outsourcing in terms of security concerns, taxbase, etc., etc. 2. This post belongs in another thread. Just my opinions. I'm not arguing with what you've said, just where you've said it.

Comment

I'd just like to state that this is indeed a World Wide Web, and that this is a world wide public forum. I'd also like to state that the United States from its very inception is and was a nation of immigrants. Having an ethnic sounding name does not "obviously" mean anything at all! These forums are available to those who need assistance in a variety of matters relating to the AS400. I'd hate to think that I'd be denied help when I needed it because my name sounds this way or that. Perhaps a set of rules are in order:
                [*]The poster's real name[*]The country of origin of the post[*]The name of the company the poster is working for[*]Political and Religious affiliations[*]Oath of allegiance[/list] As much as I am vehemently opposed to most outsourcing, and H1-B, and L-1 Visa programs, I would also remember that tipping the scales in the other direction is just as dangerous. We don't need a resurrection of Tail-gunner Joe to solve the current crisis. Dave

Comment

I have a record format in a display file which is used for add, change, inquiry & delete the records of the database file. I want to make all the fields will be protected if it uses for inquiry & delete functions. Is there any file level keyword which makes all the fields protected instead of specifying DSPATR(PR) keyword to each and every field? Thanks in advance.

Comment

I have to agree. McCarthy-esque vilification of anybody with a foreign sounding name is an overreaction to the situation. We must distinguish between the workers who are just trying to do their job and provide for their families and the management responsible for making these decisions. In these days of multinational corporations, biased consulting firms, and big bonus executive positions, it's not the Indian (or Chinese, or Mexican, or...) developer who threatens us. It's the people who are willing to slough off a 20-year worker in order to save a few bucks. Don't take it out on the individual worker, who really has little say in the matter. Joe

Comment

Working...
                  X