Access vs Impromptu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access vs Impromptu

I don't know very well Access, but we are using Impromptu in our Company since one year and we don't have particular problems with linking of AS/400 files. When you know your Database and you are also familiar with SQL, linking in Impromptu is very easy to use, because it works on the same way (before starting a link with Impromptu, try it first with common SQL commands to see if your logic is correct). Can you give us some examples of bad links with Impromptu ?

Access vs Impromptu

I don't have bad links with Impromptu...that I know of. My link problem is with Access. Impromptu appears to talk just fine with the database. I don't like the way Impromptu works. Impromptu's catalog lists table that don't exist when I try to link with Access. When trying to link Access to the database, I'm using the same Data Source Name that Impromptu uses, so I'm using the same driver. (IBM's Client Access ODBC driver.) When trying to link Access to the database, do I need to be the dbadmin? (I do NOT with Impromptu. A regular user works just fine.) Perhaps Access is a bad choice to try. How about something else? Thanks.

Comment

Access vs Impromptu

We have Cognos Impromptu supplied by our VAR, which came with our applications. I'm not particularly impressed with Impromptu, so far. I'm trying to compare using Access vs Impromptu. I'm trying to link to some tables on the 400, with Access, but not having much luck. The table names that show up in Access, when I try to create the links, do not match the table names I see in Impromptu. I'm using the Impromptu Catalog that was supplied by the VAR, as far as I know. I'm using the same User DSN entry with Access that Impromptu uses. Is there some...'secret' to this? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comment

Access vs Impromptu

Sorry, bad understanding from me, I just understood the contrary ... As I said, I can not help you with Access, my knowledge level is probably lower than yours.

Comment

Working...
        X