Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever Done File Migration with re-mapping via a PC ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever Done File Migration with re-mapping via a PC ?

Just curious - What type of files are you trying to convert (from and to)? How many files? How many records? Joe

The project will be probably 10 - 15 files... various record counts from 1,000 to excess of 65,000.

Comment

Are both applications on the ISERIES? I've code lots of file migrations. I generally use RPG on the ISERIES but a PC program will work. I use stand alone Visual Basic but Access may work. I find the ISERIES is quicker with file to file builds then most PC pgms. Usually something like that takes a lot of testing on the new application. It would seem to me that how quick and easy you can refresh the migrated files in the new application is a big consideration.

Comment

I have a project that involves doing file migration from one application to another. My idea is that possibly I could use some sort of PC tool to take one database and move the selected fields to another. I may also fill some fields with default data, might do conversion of data based upon what I find, and truncate it. I guess, I'd like to handle this withoug having to write much RPG. What do yo u think, am I dreaming? Seems like I had seen a tool like this in the past, but I don't remember what it was called. Bringing them to a .CSV file or using something like Access might be a part of it, too. Any and all comments are accepted. This would certainly make things easier for a lot of people if this existed.

Comment

Yes, both existing and destination files are on the iSeries. I was just thinking that it 'might' be easier to use ODBC and port the files from one format to another. Of course, all of that depends on what contortions you might need to match the new application data requirements! I have just downloaded a PC pgm to test my theory, so we'll see.

Comment

Working...
          X