reuse deleted records function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reuse deleted records function

That's really weird. It's like everything is working the reverse of how it should. What OS/400 are you on? I have V5R3. When you say active records, do you mean the "Total records . . ." number shown near the bottom of the DSPFD display? Reorg with RGZPFM shouldn't un-delete records. It appears to always remove deleted records, no matter what the KEYFILE parm is set to. Can you describe the query you run that erroneously returns # of rows? CRTDUPOBJ with DATA(*YES) should preserve the deleted records. CPYF can sometimes copy deleted records, I think, depending on parms.

My PF with reuse=YES has 139125 active recs and 6600 deleted records, according to DSPFD. When I reorg it, total active recs is now 145725 and deleted recs now = 0. Were all 6600 of those deleted records really GOOD, kosher records ones that got... undeleted/reused? ALL of them? Also discovered that when running AS/400 qry against this reuse=YES PF, all 145725 (the 139125 active and 6600 deleted, before the reorg) are read and included in the grand total record count. Is that a good and true indication that yes, all 6600 of those guys ID'd as deleted on the DSPFD were indeed reused? If I CRTDUPOBJ of this PF, the deleted recs, of course, don't copy. Does this mean I've lost 6600 valid records? Thanks, folks, for any insight/assistance you can provide!

Comment

I agree with Ken, something weird is going on. We are on V5R3 and have many of our files set to Reuse *yes. I began testing after reading your questions. I started with a clean file, 1001 records, none deleted. I deleted 29 right off the bat, 972 records, 29 deleted. I copied my control file back into the test with MBROPT(*UPDADD), 1001 records, 0 deleted, which is what I expected, the 29 unmatched replaced the 29 deleted records. Deleted 29 records again, copied 5 records in with an *ADD, 977 records, 24 deleted. CRTDUPOBJ of the test file with DATA(*yes), new object has 977 records, 24 deleted just like the original test file. Reorg of the file leaves 977 records, 0 deleted. These tests support the way I have always understood this to work. I am not sure what is going on with that file. I would be interested to know what happens if you mirror these tests in a non-production environment.

Comment

Working...
      X