Client Access download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client Access download

Doug Englander wrote: > I am downloading a PF to the PC using Client Access. I want to > download the file into BIFF format for loading into excel. When I > download the file, I get the column headings in excel the same as the > field names that are defined in the PF. How do I create the download > so the COLHDG() values, or the TEST() values for those PF parameters > are the column headings, and not the DB2 field names? If I should be > using a different format other than BIFF to do this, please let me > know. Doug, I would highly recommend you try out using MS Query from inside Excel to download the file data. One of the options is whether to include the field names in the first row. Bill

Client Access download

Thanks Bill. I looked into that, and at first glance, it seems too compilcated for an end user to use. However, I did come up with a way to do what I want to do. I created a .DTF file on my PC for the transfer. When I set up the transfer, I clicked on the Data Options button, and entered the SQL statements that would download the data as I required it, and told CA/400 to process that SQL as native. I told it the new column formats to use, and told it to create an excel-type output file. In addition, I had to uncheck the Display Field Alias instead of Field Name checkbox and all is working well so far. I had to make the SQL like: W3GLCD AS "GL Code" To make the column heading "GL Code" appear for the field named W3GLCD. Thanks for your help! Doug.

Comment

Client Access download

Doug Englander wrote: > Thanks Bill. I looked into that, and at first glance, it seems too > compilcated for an end user to use. Glad you found a solution. Regarding "too difficult for a user", what I do here is to create most of the spreadsheets myself and then all the user has to do is to right-click one of the data cells and select refresh data. I can't think of anything easier than that. I also will teach a class on using MS Query and it goes over quite well. Find the right data set and download it directly to a Pivot Table and you are almost guaranteed a standing ovation. Bill

Comment

Client Access download

I am downloading a PF to the PC using Client Access. I want to download the file into BIFF format for loading into excel. When I download the file, I get the column headings in excel the same as the field names that are defined in the PF. How do I create the download so the COLHDG() values, or the TEST() values for those PF parameters are the column headings, and not the DB2 field names? If I should be using a different format other than BIFF to do this, please let me know. Thank you, Doug

Comment

Client Access download

If we download the same file on a regular basis, I create an empty excel file with column titles, formatting, and even some macros... then use the client access toolbar button to download data beginning in row 2... We have many, many reports that are generated that way... users simply open the Excel "Template" (not really an .xlt, rather an .xls) and click the download button.

Comment

Working...
          X