DB2/400 or DB2 UDB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DB2/400 or DB2 UDB

You know the rest. DB2/UDB is IBM's Relational database product that crosses virtually all its platforms. So it runs on Z, P, & X Series. It also runs on the iSeries, but because of issues related to the fact that the database is integrated into the iSeries operating system and not sold as a separate product, its called (or was at one point) DB2 UDB for iSeries. Before that it was always called DB2/400. To the best of my knowledge you cannot run a different version of DB2 UDB on the iSeries (except in an AIX/Linux partition). So if your manuals are referrring to DB2 UDB, make sure they specifically mention the iSeries as well. Any references to DB2/400 are referring to the one and only native database.

DB2/400 or DB2 UDB

Hello Kevin, it has been a while since I worked on the "Gaz Guzzlers", I mean the mainframes. Do you know if the files of DB2 of other platforms are compatible on the DB2 of iSeries, I mean System I.

Comment

DB2/400 or DB2 UDB

The manuals for the AS/400 say DB2 UDB and do not appear to reference DB2/400 by name. Is the DB2 on the i-series compatible to DB2 UDB on other platforms?

Comment

DB2/400 or DB2 UDB

Aren't all databases compatible? You import/export/convert/access data between all databases with a variety of tools/drivers etc... So when you ask if they are compatible - sure. But what do you really want to know? IBM does have products that help inter connect the DB2 UDB databases on other platforms with the iSeries, and visa versa. But I have little familiarly with those - perhaps someone else can answer that better.

Comment

DB2/400 or DB2 UDB

AFAIK DB2 for the iSeries (DB2/400) is a different implementation from all other DB2s. Dave

Comment

DB2/400 or DB2 UDB

IBM has been working hard to make the features and APIs for DB2 consistent and compatible across all platforms, even though the code bases are different. The System I implementation supporting multiple physical file members is one big difference. ODBC drivers are quite consistent across platforms. API documentation is fairly consistent. Because of consistency in naming and branding, and API consistency across platforms, some people speculate that the code bases are the same. But it's not like you can run the Windows code base on the System I, or visa versa. I doubt the AIX code base would work under I5/OS and visa versa. The consistency is in branding and public programming interfaces. Management tools are different. Low-level machine interfaces are different.

Comment

DB2/400 or DB2 UDB

"Aren't all databases compatible? You import/export/convert/access data between all databases with a variety of tools/drivers etc" You are right. I can import DB2 data in Excel by running MS-Query etc etc. My question is about not going thru any driver/tool etc. Let us say I save a 390 file on CD and I try to read it on AS/400. Would I need to CPYFRMIMPF or something or will the System I read it on as-is basis?

Comment

DB2/400 or DB2 UDB

that the iSeries will process a file from any other database "as is", but I have never tried reading a file from a 390.

Comment

DB2/400 or DB2 UDB

There was an excellent article, about 5 years ago, that discussed these matters in detail. As I recall, there were 3 DB2's: DB2/400 for native iSeries, DB2/UDB which was originally a Unix product, but now also works on Windows, and DB2 for mainframes. Each DB2 has a different code base. There are development committees that coordinate the creation and delivery of supported features. What this raised was the possiblity that you could have 2 DB2's running on an iSeries: DB2/400 and DB2/UDB. The latter would run in the IFS, with support from PASE. Although this sounds startling, it's not fundamentally different from running Oracle on the iSeries.

Comment

DB2/400 or DB2 UDB

One big difference between DB2/400 and all other versions of DB2 I encountered is that DB2/400 does not support recursion.

Comment

DB2/400 or DB2 UDB

Recursive CTEs (Common Table Expressions) were introduced in V5R4.

Comment

DB2/400 or DB2 UDB

Here is a link to an 852 page IBM manual that details the differences of the IBM DB2 family. SQL Reference for Cross-Platform Development There may be a newer version. But at least it has info on V5R3 as well as Version 8 of DB2. HTH...

Comment

DB2/400 or DB2 UDB

As such, the files are served by the database server. How could you read a 390 DB2 file? If it's a 390 file, it's stored in the file system of the 390. How would you get a 390 file to CD? (I'm assuming you really mean table since we're discussing DB2.) You could export the records. But then they're not really the DB2 files are they? Data is data. If you export the records you can import them to DB2 on OS/400 (I guess I'm supposed to say i5/OS now :-P ). Anyway, DB2 is the database management system for AS/400.... It will manage and serve the requested records from it's files/tables/etc. I doubt it could serve a record to you from a CD. (But you still could read the records from the file on the CD.) Maybe I don't really understand the question.

Comment

DB2/400 or DB2 UDB

What are the differences between DB2/400 and DB2 UDB and how can one tell one database from the other? We are running V5R3 and the manuals keep referring to DB2 UDB but is this correct? should it not be DB2/400? And if both exist can one convert DB2/400 to DB2 UDB and not have an impact all existing programs?

Comment

Working...
                            X